• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hello All, new member/snake owner with a dumb question

braingarble

Always has questions
Hi All,
My 7 year old son and I have recently become interested in reptiles. We just purchased a extreme okeetee from a breeder(2 weeks ago). She is doing great. I have a really stupid question....How the heck do I handle her? I am not afraid of her, just unsure. Do I wait to see her exploring the tank and grab her? I've tried this, and she moves at the speed of light. Do I grab her out of her hide? I certainly do not want to make her afraid of us! I know this seems moronic, but I have little experience with snakes. I have purchased books and magazines, but nothing really covers this. Perhaps, I am over thinking it

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

-braingarble

I would just lift up the hide and grab her. Of course you don't want to be doing 100 times a day so she no longer finds her hides as comfort and safely but the occasionally pick up and grab is fine. Once she gets use to you and knows your not going to eat her she won't speed away when she is out in the open.

Oh and welcome to the forum. Be sure to post a picture of your new baby.

Hello~ Welcome :) there are no dumb questions! we remove the hide from the tank, reach in firmly when you know you'll be able to grab it--don't chase it around the tank,that freaks them out.

Try holding it over its housing first, until you get more sure. This way, it doesn't accidentally get dropped, lost, or hurt.

Once you pick it up try to get its tail rapped around your pinkie finger. They normally do that easily. Having your fingers spread apart allow the snake to interwine through your fingers and hands.

I let the snake crawl through my hands, supporting it from underneath, and I move my hands so as to keep underneath the snake's front part and gently, without grabbing or restraining, its movement and direction. VERY, very few snakes will attempt to bite when held in this manner, since they do not feel threatened. Snakes, along with most animals, do not like being forcibly restrained and will often react to being grabbed by either biting or spraying musk(which is worse than being bitten). When I pick up a snake, I slide my fingers underneath it, rather than grabbing it from above, since that is how a predator would grab a snake. I avoid quick, jerky, uncertain movements, since this is how the SNAKE'S usual prey moves, and snakes are very movement-oriented hunters. It is a good idea before picking up a snake to wash your hands, especially if you've handled any other animals, that the snake might recognize the scent of as food or an enemy. And when dealing with snakes, especially the young newbies that are just more skittish, be prepared to take an occasional strike.

I would lift the hide and slide your hands underneath through the bedding under her and lift her up. Make sure the while body is supported. Use firm movements with her and don't be hesitant. Also be sure you watch your son while he holds her! Corns are escape artist, and if he doesn't give his full attention while holding her, she's likely to slither off.

Well, Thanks for the advice everyone. Last night I was able to Handle "Willow" for about 15 minutes two times. I waited for her to be basking on a high branch and slid open the lid of her viv. She curiously extended herself toward the top and I put my hand out and grabbed her. I tried the hand over hand thing like I did with our leopard gecko. She was to quick for that. I then tried to get her to wrap her tail around my hand as someone posted....This worked!! I let her slither around my hands and back to her high basking spot in her viv and then back to my hand for a bit. About an hour later, I came back in the room and she was exploring her viv and I slid the lid open again. This time she seemed to look for me to let her out. Anyway, Thanks everyone. It was an excellent night!! She fed last night after that, so I'll leave her alone for a few days and try again.

-braingarble

I'm glad you had a successful handling!
Just so you know, this is a fairly common question. And why wouldnt it be? Reptiles are a new and strange experience for the first time owner.

I doubt that was a noob question, but certainly helpful for noobs like me :) . What about picking up the snake when it's burrowed away in the substrate?

I've had this issue with my hatchling. If I waited for him to be out and about, I'd never handle him. But he does get freaked out by being dug out and subsequently chased around the viv.

Its fine to move the substrate..Blaze hides under his all the time but usually when I do he pokes his head out and comes over to me...the more I handled him the more he turned into a mommy's boy real fast. As far as handling, just pick them up but dont squeeze hard though, just enough so you have a grip on them if they decide to bolt. It will take some getting used to but they are very social.

Back