• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hello (and also a morph ?)

Jayque

Hello. I am new here, and a new corn owner as well. I have recently obtained my first two corns (of many I hope) in what I expect to be a long and enjoyable hobby.

I have a female albino motley named Sappho, and a male by the name of Michelangelo. I have been told the male is a bubblegum corn, however he doesn't seem to resemble the colors found on all the pictures I have looked up online. I am including two photos (poor quality - but I hope my photography skills increase with my herp knowledge - planning on lots of practice). The pics don't perfectly depict the colors - his base color is a peachy orange with smattering of white (like a melting cremesicle frozen treat) with deeper orange saddles. The pictures make the oranges much deeper and bright, but in reality he almost looks faded - or bleached out.

Anyway, any help in confirming or identifying the morph of Michelangelo is appreciated. Also, if anyone has an idea what to expect as he matures (My understanding of a bubblegum is that it is all white except for the saddles - will he loose his peachy-orange sides if he is indeed a bubblegum?)

Attachments

• InHand1-R.jpg
    InHand1-R.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 70
  • InHand3-R.jpg
    InHand3-R.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 70
Its hard to tell by the pictures. At the very least we know he's amelanistic, but its hard to say if anything else is going on with him, as its possible he may not be pure corn (many times bubblegum is used for a hybrid name). Did you buy him as a bubblegum?

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!!!

It is hard to tell but maybe it is some sort of fluorescent corn. I have seen a few adults and they do resemble that a little.

Yes. He was bought from a mom 'n pop pet store. The associate that sold it said it was a bubblegum corn.

Looks like a fluorescent-- basically a very very pastel Creamsicle in most cases. Cute things they are.

If you got it as a bubblegum chances are thats what it is, I believe its an amel version of a corn/black rat mix, or some sort of rat.

Daemonox,

The reason I was questioning is because the sales associate was saying bubblegum, as in a bubblegum snow (I called to confirm) ... I just don't think it looks like the bubblegum snows I have looked up, but I can only find adult pictures. Here are some better pictures of Michelangelo with Sappho.

Attachments

• michelangelo-n-sappho-1s.jpg
    michelangelo-n-sappho-1s.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 52
  • michelangelo-n-sappho-2s.jpg
    michelangelo-n-sappho-2s.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 52
Looks like a bubblegum ratsnake to me. They are amel crosses of black, yellow and/or everglades ratsnakes...Heres an old pic of mine for comparison
126newbubbles.jpg

He is not a bubblegum snow, and by his colors it does seem he isnt pure corn (could you get a close up of his head?)

One thing I have to warn you though, housing them together is not a good idea. Besides the usual health/stress/feeding risks, your also putting the female at a huge risk of being bred too early, which can lead to egg binding, a large vet bill, and death. Males develop sexually much faster then females, and many females produce egg follicles even though they arnt developed enough to be able to lay them. Also, all new animals must be quarentened from your existing collection for a month or longer. Putting them together right away, if he has any illnesses or parasites you have now put them into direct contact with her. If you do a search you will also find pictures of feeding accidents and cannibalism, as well as stories of feeding problems due to stress and especially problems with females being bred unexpectedly. Snakes are not social animals, in the wild they spend most of their time alone, and when stuck in the same small area with another things can easly become a compitition for them; over prime spots and food.

The safest way to house them together is that you will need to know the ins and outs of the species and the individual snakes, they must be quarentened, they must be of an appropriate age/size/gender, you must watch them very closely knowing the tiny hints of stress, and you must have a seperate complete setup on hand in the even where you have to seperate them. Even with all that though, things can and have happened.

CKA - wow that looks just like him. It's good to have a grasp on what he is, but it is also disenchanting. I had hoped to eventually get into breeding - I suppose he will not be a part of that process.

DaemoNox - the enclosure is temporary until a friend brings me my either enclosure later this week.

Daemenox, you put that very well. :cheers:

And i also agree that that is NOT a bubblegum snow, even a cornsnake, looks like a rat, like someone mentioned before a closeup of his head would really help. What kind of camera do you have? if your having problems taking closeup pictures try using the macro mode, if your camera has it (it usually is a button with a flower on it)
Do a search on cohabitation, its a big thing here that we don't do that, and i suggest you don't either! good luck! :)

Welcome to the site!!!!!!!! There are a lot of great people here. Everybody is always willing to help.
Be sure to read the FAQ section in the forums. They answer a lot of questions. There is a search feature that answers many questions.

Thanks everyone for the advice, feedback, and welcomes. I finally got up with the actual breeder - it was in fact a texas rat variation that he had been breeding. Even though the error wasn't his fault - as he blamed "The moronic sales associate" - he was very sorry for the confusion.

In the end he offered an exchange of the ill tempered rat for an amel corn. Which I took (I hope that doesn't make me a bad person) ... anyway I can't blame the sales associate - my own ignorance played a big part in this embarassing tale.

Again, thanks everyone.

Jayque said:
Thanks everyone for the advice, feedback, and welcomes. I finally got up with the actual breeder - it was in fact a texas rat variation that he had been breeding. Even though the error wasn't his fault - as he blamed "The moronic sales associate" - he was very sorry for the confusion.

In the end he offered an exchange of the ill tempered rat for an amel corn. Which I took (I hope that doesn't make me a bad person) ... anyway I can't blame the sales associate - my own ignorance played a big part in this embarassing tale.

Again, thanks everyone.

Your very lucky you were able to get an exchange directly from the breeder!

kudo's to you for that!. The sales associate should have known what they had and the breeder should have made the petshop aware of the fact that they were carrying a rat hybrid(I know corns are a variation of rat snakes).

I hope you have a wonderful time with your snake. And as been mentioned before there are many members here who are very knowledgable and will be more then willing to help you!

Back