• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hello from far far away

Stony

a tad loony
A big hello, all the way from Austria.

I have been on this sight for a few months now, reading through various threads, and just over a month ago, after two years of planning, I finally got myself a corn snake.

Well, sort off. She (0.0.1 actually) is a yearling corn snake x grey banded king snake hybrid.

(It’s sooo difficult to find snake selling shops in Austria, due to all the laws and regulations. Don’t want your kids or the people next door to be eaten by a killer corn, right -.- )

I guess Tazz is a tad small for her age, only about 45-50 cm long, because when she was born she escaped for nearly three months, until the owner got a call from his neighbour: they found the snake in their washing basket :D but she eats like a pro. So no long lasting effects, really.

The only thing is: she is shy, like super-duper shy and doesn’t come out at all when it’s still light and at night she only comes out when all the lights are off and I am “sleeping”. But then again it is normal for them to hide...

I can pick her up without any problems, but I have to keep her cupped in my hands, else the goes crazy and tries to get away as fast as possible. (However no biting or aggressive behaviour)
I still love my little Tazzy baby.

I just have one quick question: About how often would a yearling shed? I know it’s different with all of them, but just approximately…

Here are some pics of my baby (PS: sorry about the size and quality. I used my phone -.- )

2cmuas1.jpg

Switch off the light and go to bed mommy. I want to explore! With out you!

aku81t.jpg

Close your hand again! It's so nice and warm...

best regards
Stony ;D

What are you using for substrate? I really like it. I mean obviously looks like dirt, but is it store bought? Does it make the cage heavy?

I really like the boldness of color on the saddles (including the borders). Very beautiful snake.

Hello Stony, and welcome to the site! I love your little Tazz, she is very pretty. She also has a great backstory on her. The shyness should go away with more handling. Depending on the growth rate, Tazz will probably shed every month or so but you never really know until you have her for a bit.
Once again, welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy being a part of it :)

Sindrik8x: thanks, and yes, it's store bought. It's called TerraBasis or something ... I haven't tried lifting the viv yet, but I don't think it would make it much heavier than aspen for example (maybe only a little...)

Jdog3131: hmm, maybe she's just a bit on the slow end when it comes to growing ;)
thanks for the info and I'm sure to have a great time here :)

Stony, do you purchase online, if so through who? Would be interested in checking it out.

If you get the definite brand name any time in the future can you just throw it in here?

Okay, so I checked again, and it's called JBL TerraBasis. I got it at the store, but it seems to be an austrian/german product, so I guess you would have to order it...

sadly I have no experience at all when it comes to ordering through the Internet, but I'm sure you could get it through Amazon or something similar...

hope that helped some.

Her shedding frequency will depend a lot on her feeding schedule. My yearlings usually shed between once a month and every six weeks.

Welcome!

Her shedding frequency will depend a lot on her feeding schedule. My yearlings usually shed between once a month and every six weeks.

Welcome!

I 100% agree with this. A growing baby at that age will shed every 4 to 6 weeks. She sure is a pretty thing. The flighty behavior could also be from her king snake side. In my experience kings are a little flighty but with time she should get better.

Thanks, then she should be ready to shed soon...

You're right, it really could be the king snake gene. I'm sure she will ;)
And thanks again.

Back