• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hello from NC

gocamels

I just found this place when I started researching corn snakes, and I was excited to see that the forum is active. I am OCD about doing my homework before I buy anything (my wife laughs at me constantly for my research/debates over everything I get).

My youngest son, who is 8, is a big reptile enthusiast, and he finally talked his mommy into letting him have a snake. Now, five snakes later, he and I have both fallen in love with corn snakes - particularly red morphs.

So, I signed up here to do some research and hopefully become part of an active corn snake community. We'll probably be getting our first corns later this year, but I want to know as much as possible before jumping into them. Plus, my Calabars have to clear quarantine before I'd be comfortable bringing anything else into the house - lol.

Welcome to forum! You obviously already have some snake experience, so corn snakes should be no problem for you.

I'm not sure how much you know about the different morphs, but iansvivarium.com is a great site with the various morphs listed with pictures, so you guys can pick out a nice red one.

There's also lots of great info on corn snake care in the stickies at the top of each section of this site.

Let us know if you have any questions!

I've actually looked through Ian's Vivarium a bit, as well as Don Soderberg's web site. I think my son has decided he really likes the stripe bloodreds the most.

Thanks for the welcome!

You have an interesting collection of snakes for someone who is just starting!

Don't worry- people on this site like cornsnakes a lot, but collectively, we have experience with just about any other snake out there, or even just about any other herp out there.

Thanks, Nanci. You're right. We bought our first KSB in January, then the spotted python a month or so later. The second KSB was a local Craigslist find. In my initial research, I ran into Calabars but couldn't find any for months. They were actually my Father's Day present.

Having the Calabars in quarantine gives us plenty of time to research corns. We homeschool our three boys, and part of our plans for their education is for each of them to start up a "business." We're not necessarily expecting them to turn any profit, but setting up the business, etc., we felt would be good, practical experience. My youngest has already started thinking about either doing reptile themed birthday parties with his collection or possibly breeding. He's only 8, so he has several years to study his options.

Hey there fellow NC person!

If you like the red based morphs then you live near the right person. ;) I favor the deep dark "old school" bloodreds in the majority of my projects.

Hi gocamels and welcome. I'm a pushover for the reds, too. I got my hypo blood-red as a little guy at a reptile show in November. His red is really coming out now, and I can't wait to see every shed!

Hey there fellow NC person!

If you like the red based morphs then you live near the right person. ;) I favor the deep dark "old school" bloodreds in the majority of my projects.

That's great to hear. Do you have a web site or availability list? I'm sure we'll be interested in looking over your bloodred projects in a few months.

Hi gocamels and welcome. I'm a pushover for the reds, too. I got my hypo blood-red as a little guy at a reptile show in November. His red is really coming out now, and I can't wait to see every shed!

It's exciting when little guys shed and their colors start to pop! We almost started with a corn, but Karsten really liked the sand boa he held, so we went that way instead. They're really great little snakes, too.

Welcome!!! I was searching for something (don't remember what, but definitely not a corn snake!) on Craigslist and saw the name "corn snake" on the list, I was curious and clicked on the link.

The picture was of a Fire corn, I knew right then that I HAD to have her, those reds and oranges were colors I never knew snakes could have!

Now, 5 snakes later, I am still always looking to add to my addiction - I mean, collection!!!

Hello and welcome! Kudos for researching first and on homeschooling! We also have a number of homeschooling families on here.

Back