• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

HELLO! from Reno, NV

patches152

i adopted an adult 4'5" corn snake (they call him a red racer, partially albino i guess) about three weeks ago now. this is my first snake, but my mom has a mated pair of corn snakes which i've been around for awhile, as well as many friends and family who have/had snakes. i'm one of those who is addicted to gear and gadgets, so i plan on a continuous updating of his home. for how he has a 40g tank, with a branch with fake leaves, i got him a corner bowl, log tunnel and one of these grapevine/drift wood climbing structure things. the tank came with the cheapo petco thermometers, one in each side, and a humidity gauge. he came with a heat light and the branch, everything else has been donated/bought at a discount due to different connections. from my experience, he's really skinny so i'm planning on helping him get some gurth. i'm hoping that whole "pets begin to look like their owners" thing kicks in, and he gets really broad and grows a beard :D

any tips, advice, suggestions, questions, love mail, hate mail, etc...it's all welcome. i'll be posting pix of the dude here in awhile for anyone who's interested in some snake pr0n.

btw, his name is Robert "Red Eye" Murdertooth Murdertooth Murdertooth. if you get the reference, you win.

Welcome to the site.

I am pretty new myself and I recently got two corns.. so I am still learning myself.

But you will get some good advice here.

Welcome, sounds like you have an amel corn, which is an albino. If you have any questions you can always ask!

Btw probe thermometer and a device for regulating the amount of heat is suggested if you don't have that already.

Welcome, sounds like you have an amel corn, which is an albino. If you have any questions you can always ask!

Btw probe thermometer and a device for regulating the amount of heat is suggested if you don't have that already.

thanks, i'm planning on improving the thermometers, but as far as heat regulation, it's pretty good so far. the house is pretty cold (averages 60* throughout the day), and the heat lamp is on during the day. his tank is over the floor vent, so when the heat's on overnight it keeps his tank warm when the light isn't on.

i'd like a self-regulating setup with some sort of timer for the lamp (also so it's not the primary source of heat), like i said, i'm a technophile...i'm sure i'll find some examples around here, or come up with my own.

pix being uploaded to photobucket now, i'll edit the OP to include them to show his tank, an up close to show his color and a wide angle to show length.

thanks, i'm planning on improving the thermometers, but as far as heat regulation, it's pretty good so far. the house is pretty cold (averages 60* throughout the day), and the heat lamp is on during the day. his tank is over the floor vent, so when the heat's on overnight it keeps his tank warm when the light isn't on.

i'd like a self-regulating setup with some sort of timer for the lamp (also so it's not the primary source of heat), like i said, i'm a technophile...i'm sure i'll find some examples around here, or come up with my own.

Most here use a herpstat i think it's called, it shuts off the heating when it gets to the desired temperature. Also heating lamps can dry out the so most use and UTH (under tank heating mat). the air temperature isn't that important for cornsnakes, the ground temperature is, therefore the probe. The night heating you described sounds like it warms the whole viv at the same temperature while a difference in temperature is adviced, so the viv will have an cold and a warm side. But as i said you can ask anything here.

apparently editing isn't allowed...here are the pix

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0435.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

thanks. i'm glad to have him. i kind of want to get a baby snake soon, too. i've only had adopted snakes once they were adults. maybe a ball python next!!!

thanks! according to my board of consultants, my snake has officially been awarded a doctorate. the good doctor shall grow a beard and wear a fedora, therefore making him the single most legit snake in history.

Doctor Robert "Red Eye" Murdertooth Murdertooth Murdertooth is now accepting appointments. Walks ins also welcome XD

thanks! according to my board of consultants, my snake has officially been awarded a doctorate. the good doctor shall grow a beard and wear a fedora, therefore making him the single most legit snake in history.

Doctor Robert "Red Eye" Murdertooth Murdertooth Murdertooth is now accepting appointments. Walks ins also welcome XD

Ill make one for 12/22/12......get it???? I just made myself laugh with the world ending on 12/21/12 lol. Welcome great snake

btw there was a sale at the pet store around the corner from my house, so i picked up a baby ball python. i like that she isn't as shy as corns, and is ok to hang out on my hand for up to an hour without trying to run away! the corn is ok for awhile but he starts to get antsy or wants to explore or something. her name is Abigail F Ofdensen.

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0521.jpg

Back