• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hello from Tucson AZ

redranger

Hi,
I just became a member of this group. The Corn Snake I have is actually about 5 or 6 years old. She was originally my younger brothers snake, then he lost interest and it was passed down to my little brother who after a while lost interest and after coming back to Tucson I decided to take it for myself, if only so that the snake could be properly taken care of.

She is a normal corn. I believe she has been stunted because she is rather small, maybe just 3 feet and skinny. i think this has happened because the poor girl lived in an un heated enclosure for who knows how long till I took her.

here is the set up I have so far:
20 gallon long tank with a screen top that is clamped down.
I use reptile bark
a 10-20 gallon rated UTH and a 75watt basking light on one side
i have a analog thermo and humidity guage
I half log type hide on the warm side, a stick in the middle for her to climb on and a water dish at the cool end.
is there anything else I am missing?

Welcome! Gald to see someone taking responsibility for the wee corn.:)

You might want to add more hides to the enclosure... one in the middle and one more on the cool side..you could add some fake plants to give more places to hide as well. Also, are you monitering the heat? UTH's can become very hot ...the range should be around 84F to 89F on the hot side. Once you get the temps regulated you won't really need the basking light as corns prefer belly heat (aids in digestion ...correct me if I'm wrong guys and gals).

If you need more info on how to regulate you can do a search here for thermostats or reostats.

I am still fairly new to snakes as well so I'm sure more experienced members will help you out as well.

BTW she was never given a name and I have no idea what to call her. many times I find her hanging out in the open parts of the tank, burrowing in the bark or even under the water dish. but i was thinking of adding plants and another hide, maybe a smaller one for the cool side. I made the mistake of sticking the thermo and humidity guage at the top of the tank, but even with that the thermo reads 80 degrees.

The snake was an unexpected acquisition so I have had to purchase the things it needs little by little.

Welcome! :wavey: We could always use more AZ folks around here. I grew up in Mesa. Looks like you're on the right track with the new acquisition. If you have more questions, ask away...we are more than willing to help a new member!

That probably means it's way too warm down at the bottom of the tank near the UTH. Those things get really hot if they're not regulated. Most people use a thermostat to regulate them so that the warm basking spot will only get to 85 or so. And we use probe-type thermometers so we can measure the temp. where the snake is sitting, not in the tank in general. You don't want any part of the cage to be hot enough that she can get burned, and most UTHs will get that hot without regulation. Some people use a rheostat instead--which is a lamp dimmer switch--but that isn't as consistent and the temp can change a lot with room temp. It's cheap and quick to get though (<$10 at home depot), and I've used them while waiting for my thermostat to arrive in the mail.

Giving her a hide on both sides would be best. Otherwise, she has to choose between regulating her temps and being hidden. It sounds to me like her warm hide is way too warm and she's trying to find somewhere in the tank to hide that's cooler.

Hello and welcome.
If you're going to buy things the first concern is temperature, mainly high temperature. Most of the time a UTH needs regulated so it doesn't get too hot, a thermostat or rheostat is needed for that. You need some reliable way to monitor the high temp, you can buy a cheap digital thermometer with a remote sensor probe.
Temporary hides can be anything, empty boxes work, the tubes from kitchen rolls. Plants help give hide areas and are inexpensive at craft stores.
More info is here:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341

Hello & welcome from Idaho, USA! Great job on taking in the snake! We're going to need pictures here soon too, those are a must! Sounds like everyone else has pretty well answered your question, all good advice.

Friday is payday so on my shopping list is a thermostat thing to control the out put of the UTH and lamp, another log hide and some plants. now the plants at PEtco and petsmart are cheep looking and kinda pricey, whats a good alternative?
I really want to give her a name, I could use some help. here are some pics
snake003.jpg

snake004.jpg

snake005.jpg

The leaf garlands at craft stores are cheaper than petshop ones. Make sure they don't have wires poking out.
Don't rush a name, something will click. The snake doesn't care.

Wal-Mart sells fake vines over in the crafts section...a 6 foot piece is around $5. Just make sure the ends don't have exposed wires sticking out.

EDIT: Alan pretty much beat me to everything...

She's a very pretty lady and looks quite elegant. Something appropriate will come to you. Blessings to you for giving her a good home.

Trish

Forget Pay day. I just ordered a new habba hide for the cool side and a reptitemp 500r thermostat today and I hope to get them by the end of the week. all that leaves is to get some plants going. the old girl is going from rags to riches.

nice save the only thing i have to offer is the repti-bark, which is made from fir trees from the conifer family which includes pine trees and pine is toxic to snakes. plus repti-bark holds more humidity than corns need. that being said use any info as you see fit.again nice save, btw see would be a nice fit to my male normal.

Since her colors are so warm and bright I would think of something that reminds you of warmth and colors.

for breedeing yes however that would a little inconvient seeing that i'm in maine.it was just wishful thinking.:)

Back