• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hello! I have very little idea of what I am doing.

Dahliasmom2012

I am going to try and make this short but it is still a kind of long story.

Me: Haley, 36 year old mom of a 3 year old. Have lots of other animals, going to start school for vet tech in the next year.

Mojo: 1 yearish anery A corn snake. Came from friend of a friend, had not eaten in a month, injured around Christmas by cat where tank was damaged and no longer able to keep snake safe or cat out. Previous owner said Mojo is female.

So, I got her on January 10. Thankfully between my oldest friend/next door neighbor and Google I was able to get a fairly decent crash course in snake care. The day after I got her she shed, it was incomplete and I ended up calling my friend in a panic to see what to do, he had me give her a bath and then gently let her rub along a towel while I held her, this only took care of so much so I had hubby get me a soaked paper towel and continued and she worked the rest off with no issues.

I wanted to let her rest and settle in but after hearing she had not eaten in a month I was really worried about her, I wanted to see if I could get her to eat and if not I planned on taking her to the vet. I gave her a f/t pinky on the 13th and she had no problems. I left her alone to digest for a few days with the occasional peek to see if she 1. pooped or 2. vomited. No problems even if I didn't find her poo, I may have put the aspen a little too deep so it might be in there under and I just can't find it. She took another on the 20th and I am going to try her with 2 in a few days since she is not showing issues with eating and keeping it down.

She seems to be very sweet, even if she has a slightly alarming interest in my cockatiels. They are much bigger than her so perhaps she wants to see if they have any tasty eggs?

Anyway, hello. I will poke around a bit and see if I can find more info on how to properly care for little Mojo, I used to be frightened of snakes but she managed to wiggle into the not at all creepy zone. I did pick up a rather long winded care book off amazon but it doesn't cover everything I need although I know more about a snakes reproduction than I ever needed to as I don't intend on breeding. hehe.
10914742_325743077636603_1741817373912859599_o_zps9f119233.jpg

When she first came home
1417765_326659877544923_534311336916785120_o_zps9ec6e2f5.jpg

Shed in her hut
20150112_141738_zps4145721e.jpg

post shed help
20150119_184330_zps1ef21870.jpg

She is staring at me. Time for food?
10919452_325743080969936_1119221926593472177_o_zps249a0a0c.jpg

Tank set up. Might switch placement of water and hide in middle.

Very cute! I'm glad you were able to get all the shed off. Most corn snakes will not need help shedding, but since she had an incomplete shed this time, next time you notice her going blue (when she starts looking dull), you can try offering her a humid hide, which is just some damp moss placed in a hide or container.

You may also want to get a digital kitchen scale to weigh her. It will make determining the correct mouse size for her much easier. And on that note, I would recommend checking out the Munson plan: http://medusa-corns.m.webs.com/site...53a1&fw_sig_is_admin=0&fb_sig_network=fw#2332

It is a bit of an aggressive feeding schedule, but you can modify it to better suit your snake.

Welcome to the forum!

Oh wow! Thank you. I weighed her this morning and she came in at 66g. She needs bigger food. I will grab her some at the pet shop today and finish her off on the pinkies. Thanks so much! She is such a slender girl I would never have thought she would already be up a few mouse sizes!

Yeah, they can eat food a lot bigger than you'd think! The general rule of thumb is to feed them a mouse that is 1-1.5 times as wide as the widest part of their belly.

She looks like a nice snake.. Do you know what morph she is? I know the 'classic/wild type comes in a lot of variations but that shade of brown with little to no border on the saddles makes me wonder. I don't know enough to guess..

Thanks for giving her a new home!

Not a clue on morph. I just guessed she was anerythristic type A because that was what she looked closet to on google searches.
The brown was right before her shed, she looks like a completely different snake post shed
20150123_113820_zpsdaedb75d.jpg

IMG_20150123_113624_zps44412565.jpg

20150123_114115_zps074e95cb.jpg

This was her today after I gave her a bit of snuggling and weighed her. She is a complete sweetheart.

Thanks again for pointing me to the munson plan, she is really getting into eating again it seems, she went for the hopper right when I wiggled it in the tank with her yesterday and seemed to have an easier time of getting it down than she did the week before as well. I will weigh her again in a few days once her food settles to the point I won't worry about making her lose her lunch. She really seems to be doing well and I am gaining confidence in caring for her.

She really seems to be doing well and I am gaining confidence in caring for her.

That is great news. Every newbie is so worried about the care they are providing their new beastie, they seem so fragile but so strong-willed that it is hard to find a good balance. Once she understands you are a friend that will never hurt her intentionally she will loosen up and you will be walking around the house with a snake around your neck that you forgot you put there! Confidence and an open mind are the keys to being a good pet owner.

Back