• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hello - Im A n00b!

Smoogle

CornSnake: Seymour
Hey, just bought a corn snake a couple of days ago,

Found this forum, and thought it could help me!

I have to feed it for the first time tomorrow, never had a snake before,

I have frozen pinkie mice,

The guy in the pet shop told me to pre-heat the mouse on the bulb and then feed it in its tub (familiar surroundings) the first couple of times,

Any hints on what i should do to ensure it feeds ok?

Also i was curious if its safe to have another animal in the tank with it (another corn, lizard, etc), the tank is a 2 footer...

Anyone here have msn i could talk to and ask any questions and help with the bringing up of my first snake?

Thank you all!

Paul - Smoogle

Welcome to the forums!

I am far from an expert, but you are welcome to PM me for my msn...I'd really rather not post it here.
In terms of feeding your new little one, I would suggest warming the pinky in warm water and offering in a seperate container than your tank (so as not to ingest substrate). As for the 2 snakes in one tank question, I would suggest using the search feature to look at some past threads on this issue. Some VERY heated arguments can get going, and ultimately, the decision is personal.

Be sure to post some pictures for us!

hello Smoogle,
First~ I wouldn't put a frozen pinkie on a light bulb. You'll either cook the pinkie, or shatter the lightbulb. Probably both. Put it in a plastic baggie and drop into a cup of warm water, or leave on the clothes dryer while you run a load of laundry~ or this time of year just set it outside in the sun for a short time.

I prefer to feed babies in a deli cup~ the enclosure is too large and they forget to concentrate on thier supper. Try in the enclosure if you like, but if that doesn't work just put him in a deli cup with the warm pinkie~ put the cup in the enclosure, cover it with a towel and leave alone all night long. There is enough air~ don't worry.

Keeping other species with your corn is a bad idea. Differing requirements, possible predation and disease control are issues. It's also not a good idea to keep two baby corns together. Corns are not *usually* canabilistic~ but can be very oppurtunistic feeders~ especially the younger ones. They sometimes do attempt to eat each other~ this usually results in both snakes dying.

Good Luck!

Welcome to the forum! We are always glad to have new faces around here.

As for your questions, I agree with everything Cheryl (JM) said. It is very sound advice. I would like to add that it is best to give the new one a chance to settle in before feeding it. I would give it a week. Also, once you do feed him, do not handle him for a couple of days. He needs time to digest his food. If you handle him too soon after a meal, he might regurge.

Ah that was my next question!

Just fed him though,

Got him on friday, the guy said feed him today,

He shot straight for it and it was down in seconds!

Hes gone for a nap now...

*Looks at tank*

Well he did but hes out again?

Does he want more food?

How big is he? And what size food item did you give him? The general rule of thumb is that they should be fed a prey item that is aproximately 1 1/2 times as big as the snakes widest part. The meal should leave a noticable lump but should not have the snake's belly extremely distended.

Smoogle said:
Looks a good enough size, swallowed it down no problem,

Ill take the advice you giv on MSN :)
I hope he does great for you! Corns are awesome snakes. Probably 90% (just a guess) of my snakes are corns. Obviously they are my favorite :D

Back