• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hello, I'm new here

juliebot

Hello everyone. I'm a long time snake lover and first time snake owner. We just bought our first snake today. Got her from a reptile shop, along with the corn snake kit/habitat and book. She's a 4 and 1/2 month old Amelanistic Corn. We named her Nagini.

I'm a 30-something stay-at-home, homeschooling mom of three and I live in Los Angeles, California.

I read the book that came with the habitat this evening and I'm glad to join this forum to learn even more about corn snakes.

Welcome to your new addiction Julie!!! You know, when I got my first one, I was sooo excited, and I said to myself " This'll be the only one I'll get " and it was an amel too. Now however, I have 4 corns and I want MORE!!!!

I welcome you to this forum, and if you have any questions at all, do NOT hesitate to ask. We'll help you the best we can.

Thanks for the welcome, Draco! I'm guessing corn snakes are like potato chips and tattoos... you can't have just one? :)

I did promise my husband our new snake would be the only one. If you could have two to a cage, I'd be more tempted to get more, but I don't want to have to get a new set-up for each snake. Though the lavender ones intrigue me.

I just ordered some frozen pinkies online (rodentpro) which will arrive here by Wednesday. The reptile store said she was fed frozen pinkies before he got her, but he was feeding her live pinkies at the store. Hopefully she'll switch back to frozen easily.

I have no experience dealing with pinkies, but surprisingly the idea doesn't gross me out too much. Now if they were crickets or other bugs... I couldn't handle it.

draco,

You did tell me on my 3/27 introduction post, "welcome to your new addiction" and I swore this would be my one and only snake. How long as it been, and I've already ordered my second one, which will arrive on 4/15.

I guess they are just like potato chips. You can't have just one. :)

I somehow managed to convince my husband it was economically wise to have two, since I have to order frozen pinkies in such a large quantity and I couldn't use them all before they went bad in the freezer with just one snake.

i started with aq ball. then the bf got a ball. then we went to the expo last week and now we are up to 4...the two new ones are a corn and a cali king.

You'll enjoy your addiction and this forum!

Welcome! I too am new to corn-keeping and forums. The people and info here are great, and the moderators do an excellent job. For years I'd tossed around the idea of having a corn snake, but just never got around to it. My family gave me a baby amel for my birthday this year Feb. 2. I'd never considered having more than one snake - until I had one! I'm expecting 4 more next week, and I know I'll get at least one more this summer.

Your new "addiction" will provide a lot of educational opportunities for your homeschooling. That justifies it, right? lol

Enjoy!

Your new "addiction" will provide a lot of educational opportunities for your homeschooling. That justifies it, right? lol

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Absolutely! I'll take any excuse I can get... LOL. I was never allowed to have one as a child, and it only took almost 12 years of marriage before convincing my husband we should get one. And only because my 8 year old son was old enough to help beg for one. And he helped begged for the second one.

We have a girl AND the one arriving is a boy. I can see where this is probably going to lead. All in the name of education, of course. ;)

Rr-ii-g-h-t, as my husband says with a smile. Yeah, I see where you're headed. I'm headed the same way, and plan to enjoy it all. :) I've been pleasantly surprised by my husband's cooperative attitude about getting more. He even said the "Snakes are better than dogs." Wow. (Of course, this was uttered after the Cardigan Welsh Corgi got sick in the floor...maybe that influenced his comment.)

I have some book recommendations for you. The forum is great, but it's not as portable as a book. I've recently devoured "The Ultimate Guide" by Kathy and Bill Love, "Cornsnakes in Captivity" by Don Soderberg, and the "Cornsnake Morph Guide" by Charles Pritzel. They can be purchased in a variety of places, including the authors' websites. I can see lesson plans coming......

Thanks Caryl! The "Cornsnakes in Captivity" came with my corn snake cage kit, so I've read it cover to cover. I was just wondering what other corn snake books I could read, so I'll order the other ones you mentioned.

My husband likes to bargain. He said I could have three corn snakes if he could have a Nissan GTR ($72,000 car). He said that when we only had one snake.
I did manage to bargain snake #2 with the promise that whatever I spent on snake and habitat, etc., he could spend the same amount on whatever he wanted. So he agreed. I think he'd insist on that Nissan GTR if he were ever to agree on letting them have babies.

Already my son is thrilled that the new snake's viv will be right next to our homeschooling table. Lesson plans... you're encouraging me you know. :)

Well, it took me almost six years to get my second one :) Well, there was two in the family, but I didn't like snakes when I bought the first one for my daughter.

Let me tell you, this is a very bad place... very bad.. .very bad.... I had only the two for all those years and I find this place and within a couple of years I'm up to 6 and on the waiting list for either four or five more... or is it six... my daughter is really going to think I'm out of control :D

Back