• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hello! New member and first time snake owner.

Galataya16

Hello!

I am quite excited to be a snake owner! I have wanted one for a very long time but most everyone around me has snake phobias. My husband and I just celebrated our third anniversary and told me I could get a new baby as an anniversary present. Did some research and came to the conclusion that a corn snake would be the best first snake for me. So I got a baby corn.

I was trying to look up it's morph, and was thinking it's an Amelanistic? There are so many morphs and so many variations. Corn snakes are beautiful!

Also still thinking of a name for our gorgeous new baby. Any suggestions, please feel free to let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_201408313816.jpg
    IMG_201408313816.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2014083156157.jpg
    IMG_2014083156157.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_201408318439.jpg
    IMG_201408318439.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 49
Looks like an amel to me - he's very cute!! When he's an adult he will likely change color and turn more yellowish/orange. The name "Blaze" popped into my head while looking at him...or maybe Azar (Persian for fire)?...Ciro (Spanish for throne or sun)...just some ideas...do you know if it's a girl or a boy?

Thank you! I'm very excited to have such a pretty snake! Now for a name... I like cunning, unique names, with a connection / meaning. Searching away for ideas.

Welcome to the forum! It looks like a nice little amel to me too.

I bet your husband will come around over time once he sees how sweet and curious corn snakes can be.

I'd suggest also picking a name that is easy to make into a theme, as once you have one snake, it's very hard to stop at just the one! You will likely be needing more name ideas eventually ...

No idea if it is male or female. So a somewhat gender neutral name. I know the length of the tail isn't a for sure way to tell but if you went by that I think it would be a male. Those are fantastic name suggestions also, thank you.

My husband isn't a snake fan but he has warmed to reptiles after we got our beardie and doesn't seem to mind the snake so much. He was touching him and enjoying his beauty. I'm a crazy animal lover and have trained him pretty well (haha)

That is a cute little one. I know some choose names from mythology-they have meanings behind them. Congratulations on your first snake!

I know there's someone on here whose names theirs Less-Than-Three (<3). Why not name them Three-and-Counting, for the anniversary you're celebrating? Little TC (you could also call them ThunderCat then).

That is a pretty unique suggestion Hearts-a-Glow. I'm kind of stuck with Blaze or Solarin but usually a name just pops and sticks and nothing has yet. I want to go with a "Fire & Ice" theme because when I feel I'm ready and get things figured out with this little one I would love to get a Snow. Now my husband is asking what his present is going to be and nothing will be as exciting as our new snake addition (hahahaha! He'll just want nerdy computer parts :rofl: )

You want to go with a Song of Ice and Fire? Talk to someone who knows Norman French name traditions (i.e. me). If your snake is a boy, Brandr is can be used for both, "Sword," and, "Fire." I don't know any feminine examples but -hildr can be tagged on the end of anything to make it "Battle" (you know: fiery, passionate, etc.)

Drífa is a feminine name for "Driving Snow." -Frosta ("Frost"), Snæ- and Hrím- are used in conjunction with other words to form new meanings; they are feminine in their usage here. Some of my favorite name constructions for a snake is Ormdís (derived from the Norse word for a serpent or dragon and -dís, denoting a priestess or goddess), Ormfrosta ("Snow Dragon") or Ormhildr.

The Domesday Book is my go-to for Norman French names from about the 10th century.

I watch mine for a while and see what comes to mind when I get them.

I am the one with <3 (we just call her "Three") but I can't take credit, I do corn snake rescues and that was her name from her previous owner.

You want to go with a Song of Ice and Fire? Talk to someone who knows Norman French name traditions (i.e. me). If your snake is a boy, Brandr is can be used for both, "Sword," and, "Fire." I don't know any feminine examples but -hildr can be tagged on the end of anything to make it "Battle" (you know: fiery, passionate, etc.)

Drífa is a feminine name for "Driving Snow." -Frosta ("Frost"), Snæ- and Hrím- are used in conjunction with other words to form new meanings; they are feminine in their usage here. Some of my favorite name constructions for a snake is Ormdís (derived from the Norse word for a serpent or dragon and -dís, denoting a priestess or goddess), Ormfrosta ("Snow Dragon") or Ormhildr.

The Domesday Book is my go-to for Norman French names from about the 10th century.

Why do I have the strange urge to name the snake Hodor?

I think that I haven't fully decided on a name because I'm worried I'd have to take him back if he doesn't eat :( I truly hope not but we will see.

And I'm totally lost in these references, is it a game of thrones things?

And that's such a unique name. I'm thinking Phoenix Blaine for his name? But haven't totally settled on that.

I think that I haven't fully decided on a name because I'm worried I'd have to take him back if he doesn't eat :( I truly hope not but we will see.

And I'm totally lost in these references, is it a game of thrones things?

Yeah, it is, sorry, you said Fire and Ice - and we jumped to oh! song of ice and fire! (the name of the book series that Game of Thrones is based on)

I kind of figured that when I was looking for names it came up but I've never read or seen anything game of thrones related.

My 5 year old son named our baby corn...Fuzzy. Ironic in every way!! She is an amazing snake. She just had her 4th meal and even let me record her eating. She is so gentle too! I also have a 2 year old that treats Fuzzy as one of her stuff animal that she carries around with her. This snake is one if the family now and my son is in charge of feeding her.

Back