• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

hello

Aeaiel

Had my new corn for a week now and tonight it ate its first pinkie. That was an interesting site, glad it took to food right away. This site seems very good and many of my questions have been answered just from reading.:eatpointe

IMG_1031_zps2b6c4b46.jpg

here is my baby eating. I am happy with how he has been acting so far, easy to handle and took to food without any trying.

As a general practice, I would use a "killbox" or something outside the cage to feed. If you plan to handle your new little buddy a lot, it is possible to confuse him/her. Reminder: Your fingers are warm, pink, and wriggly too. and +1 to the substrate issue. you don't want your little buddy to get impacted.

Looks like a happy little one! Is that a bloodred? Hard to tell from the photo. Congrats and welcome to the forum!

OC :)

If I do feed him outside of his home, how long after he swallows the kill should I wait to put him back in his home?

yes he is a blood red

I kind've agree with the above. Once they move up to larger mice it really isn't as big of an issue, but when they're small like that you don't really want to risk it.

In answer to your question Aeaiel :

I usually just choose a killbox that is smaller than the opening of my viv. Then just put the box, open, inside the viv and let him/her come out as he/she chooses. Usually, they squirm right over to the heat lamp, sometimes it takes a while. These are just my experiences.

OC

IMG_1039_zps15045cde.jpg

IMG_1038_zpsfa043563.jpg

I have the heated side on the left in the picture and cool side the right. Any comments on set up? should i change anything around?

I don't see one in the picture, but be sure to have some sort of thermostat or resist on your heat pad. They can burn WAY too hot. Other than that, you have hides on hot and cool, water. All good. Looks like a nice little viv!

OC

Welcome to the group.

That is a nice bloodred you have.
Just a suggestion; Your little one might find the middle hide too open to be comfortable in. They like tight spaces. If you added a few plastic plants in front the snake will think they are hidden. (I always find it cute when a red snake thinks they are hiding in green plants.)

Ok. I just added the larger one today. I thought the space was a bit to open without it so I made a hide out of a pot.

I tried using a different box to feed my red in, but he wouldn't settle down and eat. But once I put him back in his home he ate right away. Is there any tricks to get them used to a "kill box" as someone pointed out I should use.

I wouldn't really worry about feeding him in a separate feeding container.
"Kill box" sounds ominous... never heard anybody call it that before.

Although there are reasons to feed outside the snake's home, such as risk of impaction from swallowing substrate, the only reason I've found to matter is personal preference of the owner and snake.

I have never seen a case of impaction- and I've been trying for years to find somebody who has actually seen impaction.
I also have not seen any 'cage aggressiveness' in my snakes that I feed in their homes as opposed to those who I use feeding containers with.

I feed in a separate container because it is easier to clean out the vivs with the snakes removed for feeding. It also keeps mouse guts from getting all over the viv. :(
Also, it means I physically inspect each snake as opposed to just tossing food in.

I have heard of impaction happening, in baby snakes only, but I have never seen it or personally spoken with anyone who had experienced a case of it.

jealous that your blood constricts but looks pretty good. My girl took a while to take to feeding from tweezers and then a time or two before she'd eat in a box. get her settled into a routine and then the transition should be no problem. you might consider scenting the feeding container with a thawed pinky before your introduce your snake. mine is scented by now and Amy becomes much more active when i place her inside.

as to viv layout, i'd recommend something for climbing as many younger snakes will circle the top of the viv if able to do so. I imagine that it does wonders for their muscle tone, just like handling.

I wouldn't really worry about feeding him in a separate feeding container.
"Kill box" sounds ominous... never heard anybody call it that before.

Although there are reasons to feed outside the snake's home, such as risk of impaction from swallowing substrate, the only reason I've found to matter is personal preference of the owner and snake.
I feed in a separate container because it is easier to clean out the vivs with the snakes removed for feeding. It also keeps mouse guts from getting all over the viv. :(
Also, it means I physically inspect each snake as opposed to just tossing food in.

I have heard of impaction happening, in baby snakes only, but I have never seen it or personally spoken with anyone who had experienced a case of it.

I read a previous post where they used be term kill box, that is why I used it.

I also used a dish on this last feeding, the first time I didn't use a dish. People on here informed be about possibility of eating the woodchips so I used a dish on this second feeding time.

Back