• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hello :-)

Hi there.

I'm looking to keep my first snake in the next few months, at the moment I'm doing my research to make sure I know what I'm doing when I finally buy a little corn snake.

I am an experienced tropical fish keeper so hopfully that will stand me in good stead for keeping reptiules, particularly in terms of temperature requirements etc.

This looks likea great website, and I hope to learn lots from the more experienced members to benefit my snake when the time comes.

One quick question to start: what do you guys think of these starter kits, such as this one?

Starter Kit

Are they a good way to get started or will a baby snake soon out grow them? Is it best to buy the kit seperately.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you better soon.

Cheers :)

Welcome to the forums :)...The starter kit is fine, except for the Calci-Sand; it makes a poor substrate for corns. You'd be better off with newspaper, aspen, shredded coconut husk, you can do a search here for threads on suitable substrates. Plus heat mats can get really hot so you may want to consider a thermostat or rheostat (light dimmer) to control the output of the UTH.

Thanks for the reply.

If I need to ditch the heat mat and the substrate it may be better buying the equipment seperately then?

I was thinking of planting a tank up, so substrate will need to be looked at carefully I guess.

I think that the only thing that should be ditched is the calci-sand. What cka was saying was not to ditch the heat mat, but that you need something to regulate the temperature of the heat mat. A lot of us use a heat mat as our primary heating source, but it can get very hot and you need a way to keep it in the 80-85F temperature range and using a thermostat/rheostat is a good way to control it.

Thermostats are easy to use. Here is a link to a thermostat on that website you listed: Thermostat

As for size, that tank should be fine for the snake for a while... its a little small but should be fine for a hatchling. Should be fine for at least a couple months, not sure how long as it depends on the growth rate of your snake. I keep mine in a 10g currently and he is 10 weeks old.

Back