• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Helloo!

hikisquid

sews all the things
:) I am definitely new here, and interested in learning everything ever possible about corn snakes.
My husband is getting me one in a couple weeks, I have a 20gal set up with two caves and a bowl, will be getting repti-carpet, shavings, a heat pad,
and a lid this weekend. Anything else I need?
I was sent here by a couple of snake owners when I was pestering them with questions. I am definitely the research-everything type of person.
My last pet was a disabled bearded dragon who sadly passed away earlier this year, she was 4 and paralyzed in the hips/back legs. I was told she wouldn't live more than 6 months by a vet after my husband brought her home, so I like to think that a lot of care and love helped her live as long as she did. Hope that doesn't make me sound crazy.
I plan on getting a little anery/black motley, I found a site that seems super cheap and has good reviews online. They are also in Michigan, which is a bonus! I'm afraid to go to Petco or Petsmart for more than supplies, they never have animals there for long and that makes me sad.
As for advice, the strangest things I've heard today about getting a snake is to use outdoor astroturf as bedding (wouldn't that scratch?) and to never wear a low-cut top because the snake will be down that to snuggle against your chest instantly. The shirt one I believe, because my beardie loved to sit on chests and bellies.
Uhm other than that there is a crazy kitten here that I will keep well away from my snake, which shouldn't be too hard because the cage is in my sewing room/office and the kitten is only up here if I supervise her.

I hope I can learn something new and get to meet new people here!
--Jenn

Hello and welcome!
You can use a number of substrates such as AstroTurf, newspaper, paper towels, something like CareFresh's recycled wood pulp or Aspen. Most people I know, including myself, use Aspen. The best thing with the particle substrates is that they are easier to clean, you can spot clean them for a month or two before completely cleaning the cage. With the other ones you will have to completely change the bedding every time. If you do use AstroTurf, be sure to have at least two pieces, so you can switch them out while the other piece is being cleaned and drying. Repti bark is not one of the best substrates to use, it isn't as absorbent as the other particle substrates that I mentioned. Other than that, sounds like you have everything in good order.

Yep, mine loves to snuggle in my cleavage. Never much of a problem except for the one time she pooped there! Ewwww! But really, she loves my glasses even more, which will be a problem when she's full grown. LOL!

Attachments

• alaglasses.jpg
    alaglasses.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 26
haha I wonder if mine will sit on my glasses too!
Cleavage snakes sound like some sort of D&D armor. :laugh:
Yeah I was going to get that carpet stuff for the bottom of the cage, and then use aspen on top of that, so that if the snake burrows down it's not on the glass. I did that for my beardie with coconut bark on top of the turf and she seemed to love it, maybe a snake would too (with aspen of course!)

Oh, and I should mention too, be sure and get cage clips too! Snakes and especially baby snakes are superb escape artists. Most of the ones sold at Petco are a major pain to use and somewhat ineffective but someone posted some they had found that looked really good. I tried to find the thread that showed them to link it here for you but couldn't find it, sorry.

Oof yeah, I was looking online at cage clips, I was going to pick them up with the screen lid.
Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

Back