• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help! Breeding for the first time!

mchadwick

Hello! I just recently found out my two corns are male and female. I was told they were both females, but when I put them together, I quickly realized they were not. I have witnessed them mating and have visited several web pages to be sure. They are both healthy and were just fed today. I am new on breeding and want to be sure I do everything right. I have searched and searched trying to find out if you are to continue feeding when the female is noticeably gravid. My corns (Sylvester and Sparky) have been together in the same cage for a little over a week. I have had different opinions on when to seperate them and how to tell when the female is gravid. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

He is right. I would highly recommend picking up the books. I would separated them ASAP. Corns should not be housed together no matter if they are the same sex or not. As far as feeding the female. I continue to feed until the prelay shed or when she decides that she is not going to eat anymore.

Yup I read the Comprehensive Owners Guide cover to cover it should be called the Corn Bible lol It's my first year breeding as well but not by accident, so I'm still learning too

I continue to feed until she goes blue for the pre-lay shed.

Another good resource is Sean Niland's VMS Herp site, in the Education section. There are articles on breeding and setting up hatchlings.

Kathy Love and Bill Love's Comprehensive Owner's Guide to Corn Snakes is the "Corn Snake Bible". Read it front to back SEVERAL times. I have many of times and still find my self referencing things once in a while. Keep on feeding like said in previous posts. There is alot of knowledge here also with peolpe will and caring to help.

Thank you all!! I will pick up those books. Also, What is the best bedding for corn? I have had mine for almost three years and have read that they shouldn't be on aspen. The store that I got them from said to use aspen bedding, but several web sites stated that type of bedding can become toxic after they goto the bathroom. I do clean it up as soon as it happens. Thanks again for all your help!!

Must admit I've never heard of aspen being toxic when pooped on - it's pretty much the standard Corn substrate over your side of the Atlantic. Could you point us at the websites in question? Sounds like they're worth checking out.

As far as breeding goes, my best advice is to work out what types of Corns will be hatching from any eggs you produce, and find out if you'll be able to sell them where you live. Things have slowed down a lot over the last couple of years and you don't want to get landed with 15+ extra mouths to feed for months on end (I've only recently sold my last four from 2009 - you can imagine how much more they've eaten in food than I was able to sell them for!).

I have found mine like "coco husk" i think thats how u spell it. its great stuff and its pretty cheap too. mine like it cause they can go in and out of it with ease. plus if it starts to 'flatin out' u give it a little toss and its back to being fluffy again.

I already have a buyer for the babies so I won't have to plan to feed multiple mouths for months on end.... I am excited to see what kind of babies I might get, since I have no clue what the background of my two.

I am not too sure on the web site that I read about aspen becoming toxic. I will try to fin it again and let you know.

well i don't know if u have the money or not but go to LLreptile.com and they have some great incubators that are pretty cheap. I got mine off of there and it was around 170 with shipping and it came with a bag of hatch rite. first time using hatch rite and i'm loving it so far. really easy to use it already has the right amount of water in it so all u have to do is put around 2-3 inches in the contanor close the lid and leave it just open it 1 or 2 times a week for a few mins just to let freash air in and thats in. they say never and more water to it

I just bought my incubator. Wish I knew about that site to buy one. I spent more than I wanted, but knew I needed one. Thanks anyways. I will check that site out. I know I will always need something. :)

ya sorry I wasn't able to save u some money but it wouldn't hurt to check out the hatch rite tho I would say it dos what they say it dos and I'm loving it. A lot of people use vermiculite but the down side of using those is u have to add water to them ever once in a well unlike hatch rite. Its easier to use as a first timer then guess how much water. I have my incubator set at 84 and there is just a little condition on the sides but nothing to much. U just don't what water on top of the lid and have it dipping on the eggs if that happens just put something over them so the water doesn't dip on them like a towel or something that well spread the water out and dry

Back