• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

HELP!!!!! Cats & My Snake

erosdq

I have two cats and one of them keeps jumping on top of the cage and trying to get to my snake Metallica. I've tried everything i could think of to get her to stay down I've put plastic carpert runner spiky side up on half of the cage that worked for a week, alummine foil, hand sanitizer cause see hates the smell putting the cage up higher but she still gets to i even put it in another room but she can open the door when it is closed Eros is the cat that keeps jumping up there my other cat D.Q. she just sits on the bed and watches Metallica crawl around any ides to keep Eros from jumping on top of the cage

You could try double-sided tape. But I would cover most of the top, not just half of it. If that fails, reinforce the top so that you're sure the cat's weight won't break it in.

my cats do to. They cant get in the tank because they are secure. Its funny to watch the cat watch the snake watch the cat. My mom lets the snake crawl in the cat fur.Maybe my cat is weird. but he seems to like the snake comb.. :crazy02:

The foil should work, but it needs to be slightly crumpled up and textured because they don't like the sound or feel of it. Did you do that?

Maybe close the door to the room the snakes in?

Or, if you see your cat on the snake's tank, spray the cat with water...my cats just have to see the water bottle now and instantly they flee. It's great. :)

The main thing that I worry about with my cat being by the snakes' tanks is cat hair getting into the water bowl...I don't know if a snake wouldn't drink a floating hair up, nor if it would cause any kind of blockage or problem, and frankly, I don't care to find out, so I try to make sure that water bowls are free from cat hair as much as possible (though I'm sure that some cat hair has already been ingested...lord knows I've had enough of it, myself!).

Good luck! :wavey:

I had the same problem and nothing worked to keep them off. So we cut a piece of plywood the size of the top of the tank drill air holes it the wood and set in on top, worked great for a long time. Than the cats figured out how to slide the wood over, so now we either tape it down or put a lip on the wood so it can't slip. No more kitty problems. susan

I put a piece of peg board on top of my cage as the cats liked to jump on the screen top. I was worried they'd break thru. The pegboard worked great as it's strong, thin, and already has holes for air circulation.

NonVenomous said:
The foil should work, but it needs to be slightly crumpled up and textured because they don't like the sound or feel of it. Did you do that?

Maybe close the door to the room the snakes in?

The foil worked for a week or so and i close the door and the next thing i know it's open again and it is shut tight

I say just take a different approach. Just make the cage catproof. Try to get a sturdy top and make sure it is locked down. When I first got a snake, my cat wouldn't leave her tank alone. Now, she just lounges on top occasionally. The snake is oblivious whether the cat is laying on top or trying to play with her. She can't break in so its no harm. Just as long as she knows when the snake is being held, it is off limits, you will be fine. The hand sanitizer will work very well during those times.

This is how my cats and snakes get along now, "who is entertaing who".

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 30
susang said:
This is how my cats and snakes get along now, "who is entertaing who".

i wish mine got along that good Eros jumps up on the top and sticks her claws out and tries to pull the screen off or since Metallica likes to crawl on the screen Eros will take her claws and jab at her like if she had a knife and was trying to stab her

Brizzle said:
I give my cats a firm swat on the behind when they jump on top of the tank. They know better.

We have done that many times and she still goes up there she is just a mean and evil cat.

erosdq said:
i wish mine got along that good Eros jumps up on the top and sticks her claws out and tries to pull the screen off or since Metallica likes to crawl on the screen Eros will take her claws and jab at her like if she had a knife and was trying to stab her

In that case, make sure her nails are always trimmed. :)

Back