• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help! Changed behavior after escape

kristentag

We have a young corn snake and he escaped from his cage. He was loose for a few days. On Sunday night, my youngest son saw him in our bathroom. We ran in there and found him right next to our cat (thankfully the cat had no interest in the snake). When I went to pick him up, he bit me but I didn't think anything of it since he was laying next to a cat at the time. I can see how that would be stressful! However, the agressive behavior has continued. My son tried to take him out the next day and he went to strike. On Tuesday, his usual feeding day, he tried to strike us but my husband was finally able to get him out and in his feeding bin. He ate immediately and we put him right back in the cage. Unfortunately, the next day or so after, he regurgitated the mouse. What is going on?? I've read information on here, but I'm not really sure what to do next. Oh, I did look him over and I don't see any noticible injuries. Thanks for any help!

Snakes tend to be "wild" for a bit after being recaptured. Don't worry, he'll tame back down after routine gentle handling.

The regurge is likely due to stress. Wait ten days from the day he regarded. make sure he isn't blue when you feed. Feed a pink half the size of the one that was regarded- even if that's half a pink or just a head. Put Nutribac on it. Gradually increase the prey size back up to normal.

He's essentially frightened out of his wits and needs time to settle back down. Treat him exactly as you would a new arrival. Leave him completely alone for a week - no handling, no feeding. Follow the regurge protocol to make sure that his stomach is able to deal with the next feed, which should be left for ten days now.

There's also a risk that he's in pain from internal injuries that you can't see. Although the cat didn't appear interested in him, I doubt that a Corn would willingly lie next to a predator like that. There's a good possibility that the cat "investigated" before you found the snake. Even holding him down with one paw to take a sniff, would be enough to crack ribs or vertebrae. Only time will tell on that one.

ETA: Posted at the same time as Nanci!

Back