• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help. Humidity Too High!

Ocelot

The humidity in my snakes viv seems way too high. Its 80%!

Its been around that for the past few days (before this I had the hygrometer lying on the substrate and it was 40%).

Is there any simple way of reducing humidity?

What problems can arise due to too high humidity?

They can get belly rot, mouth rot, or maybe resp. problems. What kind of subsrtate are you using to get such a high humidity? Tell us about your setup.

more ventilation will definately help...

if, on the substrate, the hydrometer was reading 40%, where did you move it to to get 80%?
if you put it back on the substrate, does it go back down to 40%?

you're probably just fine, especially if you have good ventilation

Haven't we already been through this??

You have another post that I tried to address this in First Thread . I personally gave you some ideas.

zwyatt said:
I would try moving the bowl closer to the cool side and see if you notice a difference. The combination of moving it to the warm side and only having 4 air holes is probably why you saw a spike in the humidity like that.
zwyatt said:
I still think moving the water dish closer to the heat in combination with those 4 small air holes could be contributing to the spike in humidity. Is there a reason that there are so few air holes? My 12qt tubs all have at least 50 or more 1/8" holes and some of them have humidity around 60%.

Do you still only have those 4 tiny air holes? That would be a start.

Well I did move the water bowl to the cool side, nothing changed.

I also moved the hygrometer to the middle to see if it was because the hygrometer was in the corner, against the wall, but it only went down a little.

There are only four vent holes there so I can't really make anymore, can I?

The supstrate I use is wood chips.

I haven't tried putting the hygrometer back down, might try it now.

I always leave the door on the viv open when I'm handling my snake to see if the humidity goes down, but not much changed.

Still confused :(.

i went back and looked up your last picture
4 holes in an enclosure that size won't do a thing

check out this link to my gallery
http://www.isaac-online.com/foto/displayimage.php?album=52&pos=25

you'll see the holes that have been drilled into the acrylic
there are 41 holes drilled
there are 41 more drilled just like that on the other side of the cage
and then a couple vents (like the white one pictured) in that enclosure as well

you can have MANY more holes than you have. there really is no limit.

But what I am wondering is, what caused the sudden change in humidity from 40% to 80%?!?! I mean I didn't do anything different.

I put the hygrometer back down on the substarte and its still at 80%, so I don't klnow whats up.

I lay my on the substrate too and once spilled water on it putting the water bowel back and the reading rose to about the same. Could this be the problem??

Well its one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers with a hygrometer thing built in. You can just see it in the link above.

Back