• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help ID color?

haley

I was out looking at property with my mother today and this little guy fell out of a tree about two inches from her head. I picked him up and brought him home to ID...I assumed he was e. guttata but wanted to make sure since I haven't ever seen one in the wild. Anywho, could someone tell me what color he is? I tried to look on the color pages, but there are so many variations. Thanks much for your help! :)

Attachments

• corn_snake.jpg
    corn_snake.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 134
Looks like an anery corn to me
man..I wish that a snake would fall on me somday....nice find!

Emoryi

Thats a Great plains ratsnake. Closely related to corns. But it even looks strange for an emoryi. Where are you located?

I'm in central Oklahoma. He was in a tree out in farm country. Cute little guy...pretty calm already. The bathroom light may have made the color off a bit? I'll take another picture for you...maybe it will help.

i live about 30 min from the texas ok border and i catch those rat snakes all the time never from a tree though

Ok...here are a few more pictures of this guy. Sorry for the blur...I was trying to shoot with a macro using only one hand. Ignore the dirty garden fingernails. ;)

corn_snake2.jpg

corn_snake3.jpg

Do those help in determining what snake/color he is?

Ahh ok kevo26...I think I was posting as you were. Yeah, he fell out and tried to go right back up. Thanks for the help everyone!

Well, on the monitor I use at work, it looked anery to me, but now that I've gotten home, it's pretty obvious to me that it IS a Great Plains Rat snake (Pantherophis emoryi).

Nice find! :cool:

Thanks much. Any idea how to determine sex? Not a huge deal, but I keep calling it 'he'.

What differentiates between an anery and an emoryi?
I can't tell the difference.
-Thanks

Emoryi is

Anerythristic is a color phase of p.g.guttatta, and the great plains rat is cousin to the cornsnake. Emoryi do have a more drab color than the corn. This anery corn question comes up a lot, especially with younger emoryi, the darker colors of a hatchling do differ from the browner colors of an adult.

Luke
Ra Reptile

dont panic though .....after a few looks at emoryi and anerys at any age your'll be able to tell the differance in seconds in real life there is a definate differancenot only in color but also body shape which is farily distinct esp in adults the babies also tend to be bulkier then their guttata counterparts

Back