• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

HELP needed humidity issue

miss_d_meanor

miss_d_meanor
Hi again everyone
I am asking for help ....ive had aalayia for a month now, i am alarmed at the humdity in her "habitat"
its one of those plastic sweater boxes that clip down at the ends and measures 18 by 9 inch, there are plenty holes along both long sides for ventitation, source of heat is heat mat controlled by habistat pulse thermostat and i have 2 digital thermomitors, heat reading between 24 and30(both the same read out and temps are a little hard to control!!) sitting around 25 mostly about 3rd of the way up the tank near the hot end
the tank is covered by aspen shavings, she has a hide round about the middle and a shallow water bowl that is refilled on a daily basis, humidity is around 64% :eek1: :eek:
urgent advice needed please, how can i reduce the humidity as i know this is going to be bad for her health in the long term.
could i take the water bowl out during the day as she rarely comes out then but is very active a night.

its one of those plastic sweater boxes that clip down at the ends and measures 18 by 9 inch, there are plenty holes along both long sides for ventitation, .

Sorry to say but you might also want to add more vent hole or get a larger sweater box too. Try what clipclopclip stated first then if need add more vent hole then a larger box which seem small in the first place to me.

I would try putting some rows of holes along the top to allow more moisture to escape. Check and see if you have wet aspen. Has your humidity always been high or has it spiked?

Also, I would check your ambient room humidity. I live in the Pacific NW and its raining so my ambient apartment humidity is in the upper 70's. Corns are native to some REALLY humid places and it doesn't bother them. I would be really concerned if you have water condensing or wet bedding. Otherwise just keep a close eye on your snake and check thoroughly for any problems.

Shannon

thank you

Thanks guys,
i dont realy want to get rid of her aspen if posible as she loves to burrow.
i had thought about the posibility of adding more holes so i may give that a whirl.
my daughter has been on at me for a couple,of weeks about buying aalayia a new habitat, we have only had her a month however and had read that putting them i to a bigger habitat may cause the stress issues. this was the only thing putting me off, i am not sure how old our miss hissy (my pet name for aalayia!!) is but she was in with the yearlings at the store, she measures about 19 inches ithink. I am off to th store this morning to go price up some glass terarim(exo tera) i think that would be better than the plastic,the otha half knows nothing about snakes however he did point out that plastics will hold heat and build up condensation more than the glass.
i will add that we are in the east of scotland ,its fairly damp here especialy in the winter and it has been surprisingly humid(or as we call it muggy) this year.
we wil keepaclose eye onourlittle scaley friend aswe certainly dont want to cause her any health isues,
thanks again
Iris and becka :spinner:

Perhaps a different water bowl might help, if it's shallow she could be splashing all the water out. I use those little deep hamster food bowls or small ramekin dishes for the little ones

Perhaps a different water bowl might help, if it's shallow she could be splashing all the water out. I use those little deep hamster food bowls or small ramekin dishes for the little ones

what a good idea! she slithers in and out of her bowl a fair bit or kinda hovers i never though of that thanks diamond

I know this all too well. I am currently having a very similar problem. Current humidity is at 83%, however my hatchling is shedding.

When the humidity gets like mine and cant control it and you want to keep the substrate in them containers, just add more chippings or whatever you use. Also wipe the top and sides of the tank about 2 times a day.

PS i am aware that the humidity is high and i am experienced to deal with it so please dont flame me. Thanx

Back