• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

HELP! New snake not eating!

pdr_21

-Paolo
I just bought a new snake yesterday and put him in his container. I covered the container with a towel so he wont get stressed. Then I left a pinky there for him to eat, but when I checked this morning the pinky is still there...Any suggestions to get him to eat? :shrugs:

First off welcome to the forums.
Secondly, I'm honestly not going to launch into advice on what to do with a picky eatter because it's too soon for that.
Being that it's too soon to feed your new snake. When you first get the snake you need to let them settle in first, imagine being taken from everything your mind can possibly comprehend as being familiar, do you feel like eatting? Neither do the snakes.
Let the new one rest for at least another couple of days before attempting to feed much in the manner you already tried. Then if it still fails we can explore the possibilities of what else you should try.
Good luck with your new baby!

Corny Noob is right - you should wait to feed him or her for at least 3 days if not more. He needs to get used to his new home first! I'm sure everything will be fine once he is less stressed!

keep in mind that even a newly hatched corn snake can go over a month without food and not be in any real danger of starvation. Let it settle in and if in a few weeks it still won't eat then have a look at some of the threads on hear about getting a non-eater to take a meal. One thing to advise is not to try too often. There are different theories on why offing food too often when it's rejected is no good but the all agree that it can sometimes spoil the snakes appetite for mice all together. Don't stress to much about his either though. The best thing to keep in mind with a new snake is that when you think there might be a problem there is a 99% chance that it's all going to be okay.

Let it settle in as everyone has said, and it's not just not feeding it, don't touch it at all. NO handling until it has eaten for you, and try not to bother it, don't hover over the cage watching it or trying to get a peek at him.

I'd give it at least 3-4 days and then try feeding him again. Make sure the pinky is properly thawed if frozen, and it might help to cut a few small slits in the back so he can smell blood. Cutting the pinks helps with digestion as well.

O.K. I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say this. I offer food to my new arrivals the evening they get here and most will take it. If they don't, then I give them anywhere from a few days to a week to settle in before trying again. If they still refuse to eat while in a seperate container, I take the substrate out of the viv and feed them there. I do not handle them in between and keep the stress levels to a minimum. After they've eaten at least 3-4 meals in a row in the viv, then I will try again in a seperate container in a dark box or something like that. I think your new snake falls into the nervous category and may take some time to settle in.

Well guys I tried to feed him yesterday but he still refused it, so i just put him in a deli cup with the pinky overnight. When i looked today the pinky was still there. How long till I feed it again? Should I try lizard-scenting next time? Is it really effective?

Anole scenting can be effective yes - you might also want to try braining the pinky or try just feeding a pinky head. I personally would wait another 4 days before trying to feed again. Sorry to hear you are having troubles!

First is it possible he is in shed? He may not eat at this time.
Are you using f/t pinkie or live? If you are doing f/t I might try live pinkie. If you can't do live pinkie. Wash the f/t and rinse well dry make sure it is very warm, trying wiggeling it in his face. hope this helps, susan

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I will try both your techniques. There are no anoles here in the phils. but I will use house geckos instead. Hopefully I will be successful next time...

Don't feed him again for a few days - preferably at least 5. Feeding every day just stresses the snake out and makes him even more likely to refuse his food.

You need to give this snake time to settle. Leave him well alone for a week with no handling. I personally think it's too early to start trying lizard scenting and things like that, the snake is probably just stressed by his new home. There is absolutely nothing at all to worry about at this stage.

EDIT: Apologies - I didn't look at the dates on your posts, I got the wrong idea about when you were feeding and how long you'd had him.

However I still recommend you only try and feed him once a week and minimise stress between feedings. Also, try slitting the back of the mouse - the smell encourages them to feed and it's also easier to digest once swallowed. Good luck!

I too recommend once a week and feed in the viv. Just putting him in another container may stress him enough he won't eat. Take out the substrate, feed at dusk or after dark, put it in front or slightly in whatever hide he's in, and leave him alone.

Back