• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help please.

iluvmybiff

HI. My Zoology class wants me to bring in my 07' and he wants me to feed her.
I would love to do this for him because if i don't we will have to dissect a snake instead. I don't think i could deal with that. :)

So what i am wondering is if that could be harmful to her. with all the moving and stuff. I would keep her in her feeding aquarium for a while and try not to move her very much. but I'm a very concerned mother. :) This will be tomorrow so i need advise fast. Please and Thank you

If anyone has any pointers or concerns i would be soo thankful!!!

Amanda

Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand the "bring your snake and feed it or we'll make you dissect a snake instead" issue, but I'd say there's a chance your snake won't eat under pressure. Some snakes don't like having an audience while they eat, or will refuse to eat if they are stressed.

If the snake does eat in your class, then you have to worry about the stress of the journey home. Will this stress bring about a regurge? Always put your snake first in situations like this.

What if you brought in a roadkill snake to dissect? What if you brought in your snake and didn't feed her and taught the class how snakes regurge their prey in times of danger so they can escape at the cost of losing a meal?

You know, something else that bothers me is this practice of dissection. I guess I understand the whole idea of a "hands on, up close" look at the inner workings of an animal, but it that really necessary? and if it bothers you, don't you have the right to refuse to dissect the animal without facing problems with your scores? :eek:ff topic:

Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand the "bring your snake and feed it or we'll make you dissect a snake instead" issue

Sorry i'm sure its a little confusing. But as we entered the Reptile chapter they told us we were going to be dissecting garter snakes. I told him i didnt want to do that just because i had one. So he gave me the choice.

I'm just asking about this because i do care. i dont want to do anything to harm my snake. I want whats best for her.

She is pretty good with audiences tho, i had some friends over and we all watched :)

NanciWhat if you brought in a roadkill snake to dissect? What if you brought in your snake and didn't feed her and taught the class how snakes regurge their prey in times of danger so they can escape at the cost of losing a meal?[/QUOTE said:
I really like that idea. Thank you. I could ask him and see if that would be alright. I just want Biff to be healthy and i don't want to risk a lifetime of regurges, and possibly the loss of my snake just for a class.

I'd say without a doubt your teacher doesn't understand the likelihood of a regurge when a snake is disturbed, or the possible grave consequences for a young snake. This would be a great learning experience!

Thats very true :) you guys are so helpful thank you!

So would you think it would be a good idea just to tell him that we could talk about regurging. and the problems that it could cause?

Because i'm very worried. she is my baby :)

not sure how good your snake is when she's eating.. but if it doesnt mind you watching it eat you could always take a few pictures of her and show them to your class, along with the explaination of a regurg.

If a teacher is giving you that kind of ultimatum, I think I'd be likely to go to someone up the chain of authority and report it. Seems a bit unethical to me.

thanks rick! thats an awesome idea. :)

ya. i think he just doesn't know the danger it proposes, but i think that i have it all figured out. He can deal with it. or i just wont paticipate in the diceting

I hope he doesn't either. That would be terrible.

Good luck with that. I've refused dissections before.. My biology professor in college wanted me to dissect a shark! I went ballistic! No way! She just gave me a manual to study instead, which was nice.

Back