• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help: Sweet snake now striking

Karoni

Cornaholic
About a week and a half ago, I gave my amel, Firefly, to another member on this forum who is well known and has a good reputation. Some things in my life have changed and I found three snakes too much to care for. (I don't know how you all do it with a lot of snakes; you have my admiration.) Anyway, the other member has now emailed me saying that Firefly is striking a lot, strikes the glass when their dog walks by, strikes when he's handled and coils in the defensive striking position in his cage.

I am completely devastated. I feel like a horrible snake mother and I can't figure out why he's acting like this. We don't have pets and I'm wondering, could it be that he's nervous around their dog?

I know this person is taking good care of him and that his temps are probably perfect, so I don't think it is that.

Is it normal for such a sweet, docile snake to become so freaked out because of a change in scenery? I got him from a reptile rescue and when he came home with me, he was never like this.

I told her maybe she could try covering his cage so he doesn't see as much of his surroundings. He's a very shy snake who spends most of his time beneath the newspaper with only his head sticking out.

I would really appreciate any advice. I feel horrible.

It is not a bad thing for the keeper to double check temps. Make sure probes are working. Double check things with temp gun? How long has he been in his new home? He may need more time to adjust. Putting a towel or something over his tank is a good idea. And yes it could just be his surroundings are stressing him out. I actually got a snake knowing full well she could be a turd but once she got here she was so sweet for the first few months and now I am seeing the same behavior the first owner saw. I say if it hasn't been long then give it time and as always the new owner should check and double checks things that could be the problem like temps or maybe he needs more or different hids.

Thanks, Christen. He's been with her about two weeks. I suggested that maybe she move his cage somewhere farther away from where the dog walks. I'll suggest more hides to her, although normally he hides beneath the newspaper.

Yeah moving the tank might be a good idea. With him being a rescue it is a good possibility that he had a bad experience with a furry animal. Nothing I am sure he can't over come with some time.

Back