• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help with the temps!!

rickyrivers

Hello everyone, I haven't pickup my corn yet because I'm having trouble keeping the right temperature. I went and bought the 40 gal tank for reptiles, a uth and a lamp. My house is always 65f, so at night the temp in the tank drops to 63f on the cool side and 80f on the hot side because I turn the lamp off. During the day with the lamp the temps are 73f on the cool side and 90 on the hot side ( I think this are ok? ). So, my concern is how to keep the temp in the tank about 75f at night when the lights are off?

Thanks.

Firstly, when you use a UTH, remember that your main concern is the temp at ground level, where the snake will be. Unless you provide a lot of climbing equipment and the Corn stays up there for most of the time, then you don't have to worry about temps more than an inch or two above the UTH.

Secondly - where is the probe for the thermostat? If you have it on the tank floor immediately above the UTH, then you can set it to the required temp and it should hold the warm side steady there.

Don't worry about the cool side dropping during the night. If your Corn is too cold, he'll move to the warm side. That's the point of having a heat gradient - the Corn can choose for itself. As long as the warm side isn't dangerously warm, he'll be fine.

If you don't have a stat - get one, because that's how you hold temps steady. 90 degrees is a bit on the hot side. You could use the stat to keep it a little lower.

With a UTH and a stat, you shouldn't need the lamp as well. There's not much point heating the higher parts of the tank if the Corn won't be using them. And unless the lamp is also controlled by a stat, that will be an unregulated heat source, which could contribute to overheating.

Back