• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help with viv and growing snake

ok i have a corn snake currently in a smallish really useful box. and hes gettin too big for it now. but the last time i put him in the viv i have for him he excaped. i dont know how. there are only really small gaps. but i was going to seal them but i dont know what i can use that will be safe for him. the tub goes in the viv because the heatmat is inside and i cant get it out without taking the viv apart. so the tub has to go in the viv after ive sealed it. so i need something that wont harm him with fumes or anything like that. any suggestions?

thankyou
elmo

Are you using a wooden vivarium with sliding glass panels? If so, hatchlings and small juveniles can easily escape through the gap between each panel (and obviously you can't seal that, LOL).

It might be better for you to get a larger RUB (like a 64/82 litre) until you're sure that it can't escape through the panels.

Are you using a wooden vivarium with sliding glass panels? If so, hatchlings and small juveniles can easily escape through the gap between each panel (and obviously you can't seal that, LOL).

It might be better for you to get a larger RUB (like a 64/82 litre) until you're sure that it can't escape through the panels.

yes i am. but the time he escaped i had stuffed the gap between the glass with kitchen role n none was moved and also the viv hangs off the front of a shelf and theres no where for him to climb on. i still dno how he did it even if he did get out through the glass. i swear hes a magic snake.

also aquarium silicon does it give off many fumes cos the snake will have to be close to it.

Are you going to seal the gaps when the snake is IN the viv? If so, then yes, the silicone will be an issue. If not, let the silicone cure for about 72 hours, then make sure there are no vinegar odors remaining and it should be perfectly fine. All glass tanks have silicone seals, and they pose no problems to snakes once it's cured.

Are you going to seal the gaps when the snake is IN the viv? If so, then yes, the silicone will be an issue. If not, let the silicone cure for about 72 hours, then make sure there are no vinegar odors remaining and it should be perfectly fine. All glass tanks have silicone seals, and they pose no problems to snakes once it's cured.

ill have to find a way to heat his tub until that 72 hours is up then. because the heat mat is pretty much fastened into the viv. and i sit his tub in the viv. any recomndations as to what to do with him and his tub until the 72 hours is up?

If your house is around 75-80F, you should be alright with leaving him in a room that stays about that temperature. That's what I did with my corn when I didn't have a heat mat for her. Just kept the heat in my bedroom around the 75-80F mark.

Make sure there are air holes in that tub! Last thing you want is a dead snake.

If your house is around 75-80F, you should be alright with leaving him in a room that stays about that temperature. That's what I did with my corn when I didn't have a heat mat for her. Just kept the heat in my bedroom around the 75-80F mark.

Make sure there are air holes in that tub! Last thing you want is a dead snake.

thanks. i reckon i can easily raise the temp in my room. n alos yeh plenty of holes. it took me ages to burn them all in lol.

If you've just got the one snake, just buy a reptile aquarium (the ones with secure lids). They are cheap and pretty, and then the other problems wont be problems. Just my two cents.
Cheers.

If you've just got the one snake, just buy a reptile aquarium (the ones with secure lids). They are cheap and pretty, and then the other problems wont be problems. Just my two cents.
Cheers.

ive been thinking about doing that i just kinda hae not much money at the minute.

You might consider using a heating pad made for humans. I've used them under small fish tanks for a few days at a time for medicating, and if you go with the lowest setting, it shouldn't over heat. Use a thermometer to be sure, and give a thick substrate, especially on the heated end. Put a towel between the tub and the heating pad as well. Good luck, hope you're able to seal it well so there are no more escapes. ;)

You might consider using a heating pad made for humans.

I'm not sure they go low enough. Bear in mind that a Corn's ideal maximum temp is lower than human body temp. If the heating pad feels warm to a human (which it would have to, to do any good), then it's probably too warm for a Corn.

Also, any heat mat needs to have air flow over the surface to prevent overheating. If you can lift the tub slightly above it, that might help.

Back