• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

HELP!

sinlesstwigs

My 09 Candy Cane has been the nicest snake up until about 2-3 weeks ago, Everytime I go near him, He strikes at me, Right now im trying to clean out his cage but he just runs away from me, I don't want to stress him out, and I also want him to stop biting me, He used to be nice. Any idea's? My sun glow is still a little sweat heart.

Are they in the same enclosure?
If no to above question are you handling the candy cane after the other snake and without washing in between?
Have there been any dramatic temp changes in the enclosure?
What are your temps?
How are you checking your temps (digital thermometer, infrared temp gun, dial thermometer or strip thermometer)?
Where are you checking the temps on the wall of the enclosure, floor above the substrate or floor under the substrate?
Where do you feed, in or out of the enclosure?
How long have you had the snake?
Are you basically only getting it out to feed it?
If yes to above, are you handling the mice first, not washing your hands and then trying to get it out?
What do you do for a job, has it changed, have you changed cleaners or colonge/perfumes recently?

Answers to these may help us help you.

Are they in the same enclosure?
If no to above question are you handling the candy cane after the other snake and without washing in between?
Have there been any dramatic temp changes in the enclosure?
What are your temps?
How are you checking your temps (digital thermometer, infrared temp gun, dial thermometer or strip thermometer)?
Where are you checking the temps on the wall of the enclosure, floor above the substrate or floor under the substrate?
Where do you feed, in or out of the enclosure?
How long have you had the snake?
Are you basically only getting it out to feed it?
If yes to above, are you handling the mice first, not washing your hands and then trying to get it out?
What do you do for a job, has it changed, have you changed cleaners or colonge/perfumes recently?

Answers to these may help us help you.

I wash my hands after handling the other snake.
The temperatures have been running steady for a year now.
Cold side is 76F, Hot side ranges from 84-86F.
I use a digital probe type thermometer that I lay on the substrate to take the temperature.
I take them out, and put them in a "travel" enclosure to feed.(I have one of these travel enclosures for each snake)
I bought both snakes in August of 09.
Up until my Candy Cane started biting me, I would handle them both daily. Except for the 2 days after feeding. I still handle my Sun Glow, and still try to get near the Candy Cane, But I don't want to stress him out.
I don't touch the mice, I take them out with tweezer like things I bought from my local pet store.
I have worked as a cook for the last 2 years, and have been using the same cologne since as long as I can remember haha.
Thanks for the quick reply, I apologize if this winds up in one big block of text, Safari and I don't get along to well when it comes to posting on a forum.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider:

Your digital probe should be on the bottom of the enclosure as snakes like to burrow and it could be much hotter there than on the top of the substrate. Some snakes will become very aggressive when in the temps are off.

As a cook your snake may be reacting to the smells of the food you prepare and as it has aged and become more aware of them become some what more intrigued by them. Try showering and changing your clothes when you come home and before you try to hold that snake, it may or may not make a difference.

Another possibility is that it has become territorial, and is being aggressive because you have invaded his space. Try not to be intimated by his strikes/bite, they really do not hurt that much. Just get in there and get him out whether he bites or not and you may find you that he settles down after he is out and away from his enclosure.

As well I noted that you stated you USED to hold him daily before he started striking/biting and now you do not. You may have accidentally conditioned him to repeat this behavior. Snakes will often "learn" to behave aggressively when they try striking/biting as a defense mechanism and we retreat and avoid, because it tells them that they succeeded in 'scaring away the threat' and will then continue unless you show them you are not afraid and are not going to leave them alone when they behave that way.

Just a few things to try out, hope they help.

Some snakes - Kingsnakes particularly in my experience - will just go through a stage. It is like they are different animals LOL. Don't panic, just give it time to grow out of it.

It happens.

You didn't actually clarify whether your two were separate or not, but if not (other suggestions above aside), they are solitary creatures and it could be that as your candy cane is maturing, the proximity of the sunglow is causing stress and increased aggression.

The other thing to do first is to move the probe to BELOW the substrate around the centre of the heat mat - you will find that it is much hotter underneath, and as well as being dangerous, this could also be causing aggression.

Let us know how you get on.

Your snake has learned that if he strikes and tries to bite that you will go away and leave him alone. It's just normal behavior. If you try to pick him up or move him, don't stop when he tries to bite. Let him find out that it won't work anymore.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll follow all the pointers you all have given me! And sorry, Yes they are in different enclosures. But i'll keep holding him even if he bites, and try to get him out of this habit. Thanks again guys!

Back