• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help!

SexyHero

How can I get my fiance to more readily accept my new pet? I haven't gotten one yet but he's all like "they're scary" and i have asked him just to give it a chance and to at least pet it once it is trained, but he refuses to even accept the idea of me getting a corn snake!(ps-this snake wouldn't even be around him but when he visits me at college)

It's been my experience that you can convert just about anybody with logic and time. How long has he had to get used to the idea of you owning a snake? Is it something you have discussed before, or have you only brought it up recently? With time he may come to accept it, even if he never warms to the idea enthusiastically.

Failing that you can move in with me, lol.

Easy, don't force it on him and let him get used to it in his own time. If he's not going to be around it anyway there shouldn't be a problem!
My boy doesn't like snakes either but that's just because he's only seen them on telly before. After a few months of looking at him tentatively through glass he was asking if he could "possibly..maybe..touch it, a bit. Just for one second" LOL wimp :D

LOL..yeah I think my fiance is being a wimp about it...he is so afraid of snakes, and I'm now just letting him get used to it and always telling him that I am definatly getting one...he has stopped the "oh no you're not" phase and now just doesn't say anything about it. We are making progress! :) Thanks for your help!

My mum and one of my friends were TERRIFIED of snakes period! Until I got my first little guy Blaze last June, mum came round pretty fast as he was just colourful spaghetti, my friend didn't want to know at first but just stared at the tank looking scared then i took him out with her on the other side of the room and let him crawl EVERYWHERE on me up my face etc and she just squirmed watching but after 10mins curiosity won her over and she touched him, ran a mile screaming but came back and was holding him lol! She's a bit jumpy still with my royal python but he's a big fella now. Also something I've noticed with men and adults is pride, if a woman or teenager etc can do something so easy which they can't they feel silly and want to make themselves look better and force themselves to touch it, then finding it's not so bad quite enjoy it and then the curiosity builds into a wondering about their own pet snake and voila!

Rachel

I would have to agree with everyone else. Cornsnakes especially are great for getting people used to snakes. They are colorful and docile, and most people can't resist touching them once they see how mellow they are. I have a friend who hates snakes, but she's seen pictures of my girls and she really wants to come and see them now. Not to touch them understand....just look. :) I don't think it'll take her long to get up the courage to touch them. I think most people can't believe that something that colorful could be bad.

I think my mom is definatly warming up to the idea, she went with me to look at them today and was asking lots of questions about their care, and since I've been on here, i knew every answer...Thanks everyone for being so helpful!

Show her all the pictures on the gallery so that she can see how pretty they are. I bet she'll be hooked!

LOL... she doesn't have a computer... her main objection is feeding it mice, she was quite attached to my pet rat, and several mice I have owned. But she does find snakes interesting and pretty. :) I think she will let me have one as long as she doesn't have to feed it.

Back