• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

help!

bentleycorn

My baby corn is about 2 months old and he is in the process of shedding, yesterday and today he's been seeming a little dehydrated but the second I change and fill up his water he goes in it and gets sand in the entire thing. Please help?

First order of business... get rid of the sand. :) Sand is bad for snakes as it can cause impactions if ingested (yes, even the ones supposedly 'safe' to ingest), and as you have noticed it dries things out way too much for the snake. You don't want bad sheds.

Better options would be aspen (preferred choice of most who keep corns), paper towels, reptibark or similar, or even Carefresh bedding. Don't use pine or cedar shavings, though, as those are toxic.

Good luck, hopefully the soaking he's doing will help him have an okay shed this time around.

what substrate would you recommend? I'm a little worried that he is having a problem shedding.. at first it was going good and he was shedding on his head and all that skin came off.. but his body still has loose skin that hasn't come off and his behavior has been very strange. Any ideas?

if u don't want to get substrate right away you can use news paper

but aspen is the reccomended and most popular substrate

bentleycorn said:
I'm a little worried that he is having a problem shedding.. at first it was going good and he was shedding on his head and all that skin came off.. but his body still has loose skin that hasn't come off and his behavior has been very strange. Any ideas?

Well, it does sound like trouble shedding. What you'll want to do is either put him in a small container with crumpled up, wet paper towels for awhile or take a damp washcloth and hold him gently but firmly and let him slither through it. This should help loosen the skin so it comes off, but whatever you do, do NOT try to pull any of the skin off yourself. You can damage the scales underneath if you do that. Letting him soak for awhile in some water would help before doing that, as well. Since I can't remember exactly what temperature it should be, use room-temperature water since that's what he's been soaking in in his dish.

You'll definitely want to pick up better substrate today!

Back