• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help

emski_steady20

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I've got a miami corn snake which i've had for about 6 years, i recently was given another corn snake but shes quite a bit bigger and i wanted to know if we put them together would the big snake try and eat my other one,
Help!!

No, they should be housed separately for a number of reasons. Just search for "cohabitation."

It's commonly recommended that you not cohab snakes.

Do a search on cohabbing, That should help you with your decision.
Good luck with your new friend!

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on having the wisdom to ask what's best for the snakes before proceeding. Best of luck!

Hello...
My snakes cohabitate (males) and Ive never had a problem. In fact, my snakes seem gentler and less aggressive when they have company than when they were isolated. They do seem to enjoy each others presence, curling into complex balls of snake. Of course, they are seperated to feed, but returned after their meal.
I have one 6.5 foot long rat snake who lives with a four foot rat snake in a 125 gallon tank, and a rosy rat snake and an albino corn snake who share a 55 gallon tank. My last snake is by himself, but that is due to his neurotic feeding issues.
-Susan

I dunno (I may be new but I've been surfing the boards cos I'm sad like that) but it seems to be one of those topics that's bought up once a month/ on a regular basis.

I've personally been told that you can house 2 corns together (of similar size) but mix-sexes can breed (maybe too young), 2 boys can be aggressive (if not enough space in vivarium) and 2 girls will be ok. On the forums, a majority will say no.

Some will say yes and some will say no. Personally, my 2 corns are too small to be housed together and I currently have the space. In the future, I'm not so sure but I've got a long while to think about that (and they are of mixed sex).

Oh yeah. They'll HAVE to be fed seperately and given a clean before they go back into the vivarium (to rid the smell of food otherwise they'll try to eat each other)!

I say no. Even for those who say yes, new aquisitions should always be quarantined for at least 3 months to make sure it is free from disease or parasites that could infect your existing collection. If they are of mixed sex, you risk an accidental breeding of perhaps a too small female. It's generally quite stressful to snakes to have to live together, especially when they are of two different sizes. Either way, you really need to keep them apart for the quarantine, so you may as well invest in two tanks. The only benefit to co-habitating is to you...nothing to the snake.

Thanks again, we currently have them in separate tanks so i think we ll prob just keep them that way and just get them out together to say hello, I am definite Dru is a girl as she has recently had babies before we got her but we were never sure about george
any tips on distinguishing between males and females?

Good decision on separate tanks. You can do a search on the forum for determining gender. The surest way is mating, of course, but that's obviously not practical for every gender check! Seriously, though, you may want to check Kathy Love's website, www.cornutopia.com. She has a sexing video as well as some still photos that are helpful.

Back