• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

here's his ventral scales

another pic

do ghost's have ventral scales like this

Attachments

• ventral scales6.jpg
    ventral scales6.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 106
Ventral Checkering in Ghosts/Hypos

I have to say that (in my collection at least) there is no correlation between an animal being homozygous for hypo and lightening of the ventral checkering. In fact, my ghost (proven homozygous anery A and hypo A, het amel) has the blackest ventral checkering you'd ever see. I have a hypo female het for lavender...also blacker than black ventral checks. That being said, I have a normal with checkers that fade to yellow in part.

Also, some have been commenting recently that this snake or that couldn't be a ghost because the outlining of the saddles is too black for a ghost. Again, within my household this simply doesn't ring true. I have a pair of ghosts who are proven ghosts whose outlines are completely solid black. Their saddles are the typical coloration you think of when you think ghost, but the outlines are sharpie-marker black.

Unfortunately corns don't read the official book of how we want the world to be. :D I've personally owned an anery that was more ghost-like than my ghosts. It happens. He was born black and white like most anerys, then lightened to 'ghost' within his first year. I've seen pictures of ghosts (no personal experience on this one) who are darker than many anerys out there.

In my opinion, the snake is very ghost-like, but no one will be able to tell you with 100% certainty. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to find out it is an anery or anery het hypo.

Beautiful snake, whatever it ends up being. Figuring out the genotype is half the fun of corns. Enjoy!

:p

Agreed. I think the most important point to be made is that a "ghost" is not a description of a particular color, but a description of a particular genotype: Homozygous Anery A, and Homozygous Hypo.

Since Anerys can look like ghosts and ghosts can look like anerys, and there's a lot of overlapping territory there, you will never determine whether your snake is a ghost or an anery without breeding trials against the hypo gene.

It doesn't matter if you take one hundred billion fafillion shabadabaloo-... million... pictures, nobody is going to be able to give you a "for sure" answer.

Not that I don't like seeing pics, just making the point. :)

I now have to 100% agree with Hurley and Serpwidgets. Yes, I have personally seen aneryths that can pass for ghosts (own one in fact), and after my clutch of ghosts hatched this spring, can now say that I have personally seen ghosts with very black bands around their saddles. I was once a firm "textbook" believer of morph descriptions, especially questioning what was called a ghost, but am now converted. Although I am still partial to light colored ghosts, especially if they have tons of pink, I'll have to admit, there is something very attractive about ghosts, and aneryths, colored like yours. Only breeding trials will tell for sure. And then, you have to consider the different hypo genes that are cropping up, and which one you have!

Back