• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Herpstat question

chag67

Contact Greg West at http://www.cornelsworld.com and he will hook you up with a Herpstat. Awesome customer service and very fast!!

I was looking at this link and was trying to decide if the HerpStat 1 would be something I would use. I have several questions and hopefully some of you guys will know the answers and can steer me in the right direction/product.

I am looking for a temperature/thermostat that will adhere to the underside of the tank and allow me to have a high and low temp settings for at least 2 areas of the tank. The reason being is the cold side gets down to 65 in my RV so my snake stays mostly in the warm side. Humidity is not a problem as it stays between 20-50% but I would like something that would help regulate that as well.

Do these thermostats come with the heating pad that is placed or stuck to the tank?
Can they control more than 2 spots in the tank?
Do they just read the humidity or can they help control it?

Ideally I want something that can also keep the general air temp in the tank around 75 as well.

I ask this because I have noticed that a lot your snakes explore their homes even during the daytime. My guy stays hidden most of the time in the warm side and I think it is because the rest of the viv is too cold for him to exploring.

Thanks for any help.

OK, let's see what I can answer:

1) The Herpstats are Proportional Thermostats. They raise and lower the amount of electricity going to a heating pad in order to keep the temperature relatively stable. They DO NOT produce heat. They are just what the heat pads plug into. You'll need to buy UTH heat pads seperately.

2) The Herpstat 1 models only have one plug and one temperature probe, so they only control 1 pad/zone. Ther Herpstat 2 models have 2 plugs and 2 probes, so they can keep 2 different pads/zones working independently of each other.

3) They only measure and regulate temperature, not humidity. Even a full hygrometer will only measure humidity, regulating it is an entirely different ball of wax. But, I wouldn't really worry too much about humidity -- your levels sound fine.

4) They measure about 4-5 inches wide, about 5-6 inches long, and about 2 inches in depth. They don't really affix to anything (more like just sitting next to the tank), but I suppose it would be possible to rig something up.

5) UTHs in general aren't really designed to heat the air in tank. That being said, air temps (as long as they stay at reasonable levels) don't really matter to corns.

6) The snake's willingness to explore around when visible is more a snake thing than a temp thing. One of my guys is out and about often, the other I NEVER see unless I pull him out.

--

Overall, you probably want one of the HerpStat 2 models, as buying one of those is cheaper than buying 2 HerpStat 1 models; assuming you go with the herpstats at all.

Hydrofarm makes a pretty inexpensive thermostat that is also recommended by folks here. I personally use the HerpStats but I've heard good things about the hydrofarms.

Back