• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

het for Albino?

rainkeltoia

I asked the breeder of the little guy I got at the expo what the parents were. He said the parents were a normal and an albino. What exactly is an albino? I've heard Amel and Anery, typically when I think albino I think pure white with red eyes. That doesn't exist it seems in the corn snake world outside of something like a blizzard. Does anyone have any ideas? My snake is a normal looking snake but I'm just curious, I want to understand the genetics behind this. I understand that given one parent was a normal, he's only a 50% het for albino, but mostly I'm curious as to what exactly an albino is.

Thank you for your time.

albino=amel, confusing as snake genetics are for me that much I know but then maybe that's why it's confusing

Depends in which sense the breeder was using the term "Albino". As susang says, a Corn person would most likely use it for Amel (oranges and reds, lacking the brown/black elements). Sometimes people use it for "a white snake" which with Corns, is most commonly a Snow (although this presents as a white/pink snake rather than pure white).
However, "Albino" isn't generally used with Corns, as it's confusing.

It's very doubtful that "albino" in your instance means Blizzard as this morph (even as a het) can command a higher price than a standard Amel or Snow.

I suspect that your snake is a Normal het Amel and from the breeder's info, the parents were a Normal and an Amel. However, the parents could also have been a Normal and a Snow and produced Normal offspring.

And your snake would be 100% het "albino" since the one "albino" parent was only able to give the "albino" gene (whichever it/they may be, probably amel) to it's offspring (your snake).

A corn snake is 50% (or 66%) het for a gene if one (or both) parents are only het for it, so they may or may not pass that gene on to their offspring.

In most corn snake morph guides and online websites you may also see the term "black albino" which is synonomous with "anery" - most people associate "amel" with "red albino" since the term "amelanistic" means lacking of black pigment.

Thank you all for the awesome information! I guess the best way to figure out which of the "albino" genes he has is to prove him when he's older by finding an amel and an anery to breed him to. I had looked up on iansvivarium to see what it meant, then came here because I was somewhat confused. Thank you all very much for the information! I really love this site.

I'd bet a box of donuts he's amel, not anery. But if you wanted to prove it out in one breeding, just breed him to a female snow. She'll be homozygous for both.

We probably just need to stop using the term "albino" for animals that have pigments besides melanin.

What kind of donuts are we talkin? ;)
So a snow has both the anery and amel genes? So whichever comes out is what he's het for. I like those odds. I'd go with amel as well, I know its het so there shouldn't be any markers physically but he does have redder spots near his head and on his underbelly from the tip to just past the vent.

What kind of donuts are we talkin? ;)
So a snow has both the anery and amel genes? So whichever comes out is what he's het for. I like those odds. I'd go with amel as well, I know its het so there shouldn't be any markers physically but he does have redder spots near his head and on his underbelly from the tip to just past the vent.
It's good in theory........except both amel and anery are the most common hets, so he could be carrying both!

Back