• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hey! I'm new...

bird25

Hello! I'm in the process of learning all I can about cornsnakes. Both of my dd's have begged for snakes for years... after going into a reptile shop with my oldest son and his wife, (who had a ball python for years) I held a few corns and am now ready to let my youngest get one for Christmas.
The pet store we went into sell baby corns, but you have to buy the starter kit, which contains a 10 gallon tank. The only thing that potentially concerned me is that the starter kit contains fir bark- after doing some reading, am I right in thinking this is toxic to snakes? I also have pet rats, and only use aspen bedding for the exact same reason.
They also are encouraging me to feel free to house 2 or even 3 together, which I am now thinking no way after reading more about the potential for stressing them out not to mention caniballism.
Should I be wary of this pet store? They were wonderfully gracious and took tons of time to let us handle their snakes, and talk with us.
Thanks in advance, and I and my dd are looking forward to learning alot on this site.
I'm getting ready to order Kathy Love's snake book also, any other must-have cornsnake books?
The one by the guy who runs South Mountain Reptiles also looks good.

Welcome

Buying pets from a petstore can sometimes be risky. A breeder can better fill you in and most defantly give you better care advice.
It wouldn't be suggested to house more than one.

I haven't heard of that bark but a 10gallon won't last you long....unless you plan to use it in the future?

Also petstore employees are sure to be nice and fill you with information that sounds right to you but truely its a very rough way to provide. They want you to buy their "product"

I'd be careful but if you believe they are healthy then go for it. Make sure you do more research on here and get all your concerns answered ;)

Thanks for the reply! I should've mentioned it's a small pet store, the owners are the cornsnake breeders. They referred to one of their adults as "albino," though, which I've since come to learn is properly called "amelanistic"?
The snakes are great, though, have been fed out of their cages every time and are feeding well on t/f mice.
The store is pretty close by, which is a huge plus, it's pretty nice to hold the snakes and choose them yourself, but looking online and getting a sweet morph is also apealing!

"f/t mice"

If you believe it is good then take your chance but they shouldn't be telling you to house more than one.

Good luck

Hello! I'm in the process of learning all I can about cornsnakes. Both of my dd's have begged for snakes for years... after going into a reptile shop with my oldest son and his wife, (who had a ball python for years) I held a few corns and am now ready to let my youngest get one for Christmas.
The pet store we went into sell baby corns, but you have to buy the starter kit, which contains a 10 gallon tank. You have to buy a starter kit to be allowed to purchase the snake? The only thing that potentially concerned me is that the starter kit contains fir bark- after doing some reading, am I right in thinking this is toxic to snakes? I also have pet rats, and only use aspen bedding for the exact same reason. Yes. Use aspen bedding. Not bark.
They also are encouraging me to feel free to house 2 or even 3 together NO. Just no., which I am now thinking no way after reading more about the potential for stressing them out not to mention caniballism.
Should I be wary of this pet store? Yes. They were wonderfully gracious and took tons of time to let us handle their snakes, and talk with us.
Thanks in advance, and I and my dd are looking forward to learning alot on this site.
I'm getting ready to order Kathy Love's snake book also, any other must-have cornsnake books? Fatman should chime in sometime soon.
The one by the guy who runs South Mountain Reptiles also looks good.

The snake will eventually need a 20 gallon tank, minimum so I'd advise against buying a 10 gallon glass tank. If you have to buy this stater kit to buy the snake then don't buy from there.

Before I purchased my snake I was advised to use fir bark because the snakes have trouble burrowing into it and otherwise I would never see the snake because it would always be burrowed into the bedding...exact words from the associate. Obviously I went with aspen lol.

Again, if they're advising you to house 2 or 3 snakes together....I would have walked out the door right there.

Hello and Welcome!

Glad you have decided to get a corn snake!! I love this snake because there is a morph for everyone ;).

I would not get one if they recommend or encourage you to co-hab.

Are the corns there separated or all together??

If all are together, I would be careful getting one from there. The odds of something being wrong with a baby corn are increased, when they are co-habbed.

Either way go with your gut..if the babies look good, and over all the place seems okay go for it! If you feel like something is off, and babies are co-habbed, I would reconsider.

My first corn was a pet shop buy. He has been wonderful and healthy. The pet shop kept all their snakes separated, knew which ones ate and when, and over all seemed good.

Let us know either way, and post pictures once you get it!

Hello welcome to the forum looks like everyone on this thread has said it I got my first corn snake from a pet store I have always gone too. But I made sure that the snake was healthy and eating if you think this will be a good bye and they look healthy then go for it. But like others have said co-hab is not a good idea beacuse alot of things can go wrong. So anything you have questions on ask away and this site is awesome so come on in and join us. :)

<Either way go with your gut..if the babies look good, and over all the place seems okay go for it! If you feel like something is off, and babies are co-habbed, I would reconsider.>

So- I do feel good about the babies, they are friendly, obviously handled alot and look very healthy BUT they've been co-habbed: Should I look elsewhere?
My daugher liked the yearlings the best.

Thanks!

<Either way go with your gut..if the babies look good, and over all the place seems okay go for it! If you feel like something is off, and babies are co-habbed, I would reconsider.>

So- I do feel good about the babies, they are friendly, obviously handled alot and look very healthy BUT they've been co-habbed: Should I look elsewhere?

Thanks!

I could have swear that you post this thread and now you are answering youself?. Or should I say petnding to be someone else?.

Opps sorry bird25 lol my bad I thought you was trying to be someone eles please I apologize for that forgive me lol. :)

Thanks!

If you can't see anything visibly wrong with any of the corns at the pet store then go ahead and buy from there. not a big deal either way.

Opps sorry bird25 lol my bad I thought you was trying to be someone eles please I apologize for that forgive me lol. :)

No problem, my bad! I forgot to press the quote button, it's been a long day!:)
If I was going to pretend to be someone else, I'd sure make it more interesting!

Back