• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hey there

xhan

Hi there,

I will be lurking here for the next month gathering up as much information about corns as possible!
I've wanted a corn for a while and went to the local reptile shop yesterday to hold one. (you can't get a pet you can't bear to touch!)
I fell in love and am planning to buy one next month. (I'm moving house/going on holiday soon so I don't want to stress the little guy out!)

A few questions though!

Is it best to feed the corn outside of his habitat in a separate container?
- some youtube videos I saw recommended this and a comment on a thread somewhere here talked about blood and guts exploding!

The reptile shop I went too (and plan on buying my corn from) seemed very good, but I have had experiences (I currently keep tropical fish) where the shop seems to know what their talking about and actually don't!

They offer a starter kit:
http://tcreptiles.webs.com/starterkits.htm#396639831

I'm wondering if this is the best home I can give him or if I can get a better one. (Money is an object but....not - I want a happy snake!!)

I really liked this shop and have read great reviews on them and would like to buy my corn from them but will he be ok with an hours journey in the car to his final home?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Next week I'm going to visit a friend who has year old corns, if I can hold one of them I'll be sorted!! How much bigger are they at one year?

couldn't work out how to edit the thread! Would like to add a few more questions! (is there a better place for me to post all this!?)

Are they very fast? The guy I held was quite slow moving, but he made a bit of a leap when his tub was opened!

Welcome to the forum! I think that actually looks pretty good for a snake starter kit.... way better than the ones they sell where I live, which include useless heat lamps and those half-log hides. I think you may find it easier to handle a yearling corn than a baby, because they are usually a little calmer. Yearlings vary in size but are generally about twice as long as hatchlings.

I prefer to feed most of my corn snakes outside of their enclosures for several reasons. First of all, babies eat much better in small containers, where they can focus on their food. Feeding in a separate container ensures that no mouse mess gets in their cage and that they don't ingest their substrate. While the snake is out of the cage for feeding, it is a good time for you to spot-clean their cage and change out their water dish. There is also a theory out there that snakes will learn to stike any time a hand enters their cage if the hand sometimes has food.... not sure there is any proof on that, though.

Anyway, I hope you find a nice snake. Corn snakes make great pets. Good luck!

Hello & welcome!
Feeding outside of the snakes cage is usually recommended for all of the reasons already listed. The snake possibly mistaking your hand for food if fed in cage though is more of an issue if that is pretty much the only reason you get into the cage. If they are handled often for other reasons they shouldn't come to expect food every time you open the cage.

You have to be a Contributing Member to edit posts on here.

Fast? It depends on in comparison to what. They are usually much faster than a python or boa, but generally slower than a garter or ribbon snake. Did you have a morph picked out?

Back