• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hey there...

PinkyRamone

Babyscales
Hey! My name is Heather...

I live in Maryland, and I have a very large animal family! I have 4 ducks, 4 rats, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, fish, and HAD two snakes!! I was really enjoying them until I lost them!!

Here's my story:

I've been surfing these forums for a few days now, and like many other new members, I have run into quite a dilemma.

I'm a rookie snake owner and got my first two snakes in December '07. One was a candy cane, the other an albino. Everything was going smoothly, they were happy and healthy.

In February, my albino escaped. The lid fits funkily on my tank as it is custom made, I believe... but she must have wiggled around in the lid and gotten out at the gap.

I looked for her everywhere in my room the next morning, very early. I tried leaving a pinky out for her in her hideout on the floor next to the base heater, to no avail. Just about everyday, I look for her...I have rearranged furniture and went through drawers and bookcases...

So then, my candy cane escaped, just a week ago!! Since my albino's escape I had wedged a piece of wood into the gap inbetween the tank and the screen top...But, he managed to get out somehow, because he is not in his tank! I searced under the substrate about 10 times, nothing. And once again, I am searching my room.

My room is at the top of some stairs and is the only room up here...I don't imagine that they would've gone downstairs, but I have looked not as thoroughly, and there is nothing down there either.

SO. From what I have read from here... I am going to try the liter bottle trap & flour tracking technique in hope to find my babies!!

It's been 3 months since I've seen my albino, and almost 2 weeks since I've seen my candy cane...Do you think there's hope??

(Sorry for the super lengthy first post!)

Welcome to the cs forums. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your little snakes and their Houdini disappearing acts. Good luck with finding them. When you're looking for them, keep in mind that corn snakes are very secretive and they need to thermoregulate, so you may want to try looking around electrical appliances that produce some amount of heat (like your refrigerator). From what I've seen from past posts, if you find the snake, it will be quite a while from now when you least expect it.

How old were they? I know you said you got them in December 07, but were they hatchlings at that point?

And yes, they were hatchlings when I got them.

This searching thing is hard! Our house is really old and there are holes for pipes and such, everywhere! I'm trying my hardest to follow any holes in my room to surrounding rooms including the attic where it is indeed warm... Nothing under the fridge or stove, but my snakes were really active, so they could be under there eventually...

hopefully they'll turn up.

Hi Heather :wavey: welcome to the forum

It is unfortunate about your snakes. As you have found it, cornsnakes are great escape artist. They need only very small openings to get out. There have been stories of people finding their lost snakes after many months. My advice is to use a bottle trap and see if you can find one. Keep us updated.

Welcome to the forums and enjoy! Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I had one escape over a month ago and it's still missing. Hopefully, you'll have better luck finding yours!

All the best! :spinner:

Welcome and good luck finding your corn babies. I had one of mine get out when I was 7yrs old and I believe it was something like 2months later when she was found three or four houses down from ours. so they know how to survive. The funny part was we lived in Florida and she had eaten and everything. Also she had taken on the radiling of the tail. Again good luck and welcome hope you find them.

Thank youuu, I've read a lot of stories about snakes showing up somewhere months and even years later... gives me a little hope! It's just really hard to have an empty viv and resist the temptation to get another snake!!

Back