• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heya, new to this thread and snakes

eDenny

Hey everyone, I just recently purchased a Snowy Corn Snake (they said about a year old and pop tested male), it has been one of my recurring childhood dreams to own and care for a snake. I currently have a 20L terrarium, fake rotted log hide-a-way (he fits in the whole thing), skull (looks awesome because once and a while he constricts around the skull and through the eyes XD), water dish x 2(one for drinking and one under my day lamp for evaporation), some silk leaves, another hide-a-way and a large vine that goes from end to end. Douglas Fir bark as the substrate. I have many questions :p
... Here's the situation, He was fed the hour I went in to buy him so I came back that night to get him. The night staff knew NOTHING about snakes nor did they like to hold them (which they didn't say until after) so as I am filling out paper work I turn my head and she is tugging on my snake obviously he was scared shtless (literally he had defecated all over her face) and i had to run over, get her off the stool so i could try and get him out without going home with 2 pieces of 1 snake. So they give me a BIRD box to bring a corn snake of a year age, home with. Pathetic. I get home I fix up his terrarium, and he hides and there is no movement that night (understandable he ate, shed and had a very stressful day because of the ignorant pet shop keeper) I waited until the third night to finally try to take him out, successful! He was a lot more lively than he was in the cage, hasn't tried to bite me at all compared to the pet shop keeper getting 4 assaults from my carnivore. Anyway now he has been in this "rotten tree log" hide-a-way for a day and i took out the log and placed it on me while sitting down someone and he just smells my finger and isn't alarmed but he doesn't want to come out XD... I don't even know if he goes for water or anything... Think i should be worried given his past few days? I am trying to find a heating pad because this lamp seems useless (is that a good idea?)
Finally, thank you for reading this... I appreciate it.
Later...

eDenny and Lecter(corn snake)

Hi eDenny

I'm a noobie but here's my advice. Your snake has had a tough day or two. Let him hang out in the rotted tree thing & calm down. They tend to come out at night so I bet he is drinking at night when you are asleep. Douglas fir is NOT considered a good substrate, because it has all kinds of aromatic oils that could poison snakes (there is debate about this but hey, better safe that sorry in my view). The heat lamp isn't the best for a corn snake because they don't bask in the sun, they like belly heat, so get the heat pad & a thermostat to keep it from getting too hot. Good luck! Post pictures soon, OK?

Hello and welcome to the forum. :wavey: I love the name of the snake! Lecter, that great. I almost pissed myself reading your story. I'm sorry, but to hear that he pet store attendant, got musked right in the face. That's funny! I almost feel bad for her. Almost!

Betsy (wstphal) gave you some good advice. I would dump the lamp too and install an Under the tank heater with a thermostat to control the temps. I would also avoid the bowl of water for humidity. If you are using a tank with a screen lid and a heat lamp, you are probably not creating any in tank humidity. It's probably going right out the top. It's not "really" needed anyway. Not to mention that the bowl and water is probably heating up real good and may get real hot and injure the snake. I would create a humid hide, by taking a small plastic hide and filling it with wet sphagnum moss, when you notice Lecter going into shed.

Well, if there is anything else you need to know, please don't hesitate to ask. I could write it all out for ya, but who has the time? :shrugs: That and Arrwhd gave you a great link to follow.

Welcome again!!

Wayne

Welcome to the forum. Aspen seems to be the favourite substrate here, as well as newspaper or paper towel.

I use paper towels as substrate every time I bring a new one home. I would suggest you do the same - it's a great way to make sure your new buddy doesn't have any mites. Otherwise, welcome welcome!

Back