• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hi Everyone!

Colin

Ok ok, enough lurking the board, I suppose its finally time to introduce myself!

Hope you guys can appreciate a small novel! Here goes...

I've been reading and lurking for a few weeks now, browsing thru lots of snake pics and husbandry stuff. I also went out and bought Kathy Loves book for corns, although, everything I gleaned from this forum pretty much covers everything in the book (cept for some of the breeding/genetics subjects). Then again I never really researched the breeding, since I have a 1 critter limit in my house! (self imposed, as I have enough trouble taking care of ME! :crazy02:)

About me, i'm 26, live with my bro, haven't been single for damn near 6 years (I still love my college sweetheart) and I work at a Plastics Testing Lab in Calgary Alberta. I love dogs (springer spaniels mostly!), camping, fishing, snowboarding, skiing, 4x4ing, fishing, moutain biking, i'd love to get back into dirtbiking. Heck I pretty much do everything I can outside, when the $$ in my wallet allows me to drive to the Mountains. I should really get a street & dirt bike so I can do it more often and cheaper! I'm also a closet MMORPG fan, I played Everquest for 5 yrs (ugh) and World of Warcraft for 3. I don't see any more good ones on the horizon though, so I might be breaking the habit!

About my snake! I picked her up at the Reptile Show in Red Deer on August 22. Shes an Anery Motley although I prefer to call her Anery Hurricane since she doens't have much in the way of saddles, but very well pronounced hurricanes! I've noticed most people refer to them as Motley though. I haven't named her yet, but its in the works. I tend to take my time with these things. I was thinking of "Storm" but am still mulling it over (Hurricane? Storm? Get it? hehe) I keep her on aspen, with bottled spring water, a warm and cold hide with a heat mat with a cheap dimmer switch, that I plan on upgrading to a proper thermostat one of these days. She likes to come out at nite and poke her head around her viv. S

o far shes pretty good with handling, doens't trust me so much to pick her up, but ok when I have her in my hand. I keep the sessions short for now. Oh, she also eats like a champ! I use a separate feeding dish in her tank with no aspen in it, lift her up, show her where the pinkie is and she devours it and goes back to her warm hide at which point I switch her water/food dish around and wave goodbye to her for 2 days!

I know an intro thread is useless without pics too, so here is my Snakey!

SidenHead.jpg

BackPatterning-1.jpg

CorninTank.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum! :wavey:

You will find lots ok knowledgeable, helpful people here. So feel free to ask any questions you have.

I am a recovering WOW-aholic. Clean about 9 months. Before that I wasted much of my life on SWG. So I feel your pain.

You have a gorgeous snake. You need to name her and keep us updated with plenty of pics.

I love his coloring and pattern! Welcome. I've only been an owner for a few weeks...but I visit the site everyday. My bf has owned snakes for decades. This is a great site!

Welcome! Pretty snake! Definitely a hurricane, which is a type of mot. All hurricanes are motleys, few motleys are hurricanes.

You'd probably enjoy Don Soderberg's book, Cornsnakes in Captivity, and Charles Pritzel's Cornsnake Morph Guide is an essential, too, if just to be able to follow threads about different morphs.

Nanci

Hello and welcome! :wavey:
This is a great site and a great hobby. Good luck on only getting one corn snake, it's hard once you see all the other morphs they come in!
Your baby is pretty pretty :)

Hey Colin, Thanks for the nice intro....very refreshing.
Welcome! :cheers:

Beautiful snake ya got there.........I really like the name "Storm".......I think of the X-men "Storm"....yeah, nice!!!!!

Congrats and welcome again. Looking forward to more pics :)

The type of anery corn you have is called a hurricane motley.
Her saddles are just fadded is all. :) Goodluck, and welcome!

Thanks for all the welcomes guys!

Well, I got her on August 22, I don't know her exact hatch date, but I suspect it was within 3-5 weeks of that day. She's about a foot long right now and a bit smaller diameter than an "AA" battery.

My one critter limit. Yeah, its tough especially after looking thru the photo gallery here, wow there are some sharp lookin snakes out there! My girlfriend has been on a critter collecting binge for the last year or so, shes got a bearded dragon, and a buncha (12-13) geckos of varying species. She really wanted a corn snake bad, but her mom won't let her have one in the house. I imagine she'll get one as soon as she moves out, and if we move in together anytime soon (Damn Calgary real estate market) then my one critter limit is shot to hell! haha. I had a Tiger Salamander for 5ish years whom I found a new home for with a good friend before I got the snake!

I really like Storm too for a name, and I thought of the X-men afterwards too, and I think thats why I haven't used it yet. I don't want to name my snake after Halle! lol I'm still humming and hawwing about it!

Back