• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hi From New Mexico!

EmbersMom

And then there were three
Hello! :wavey: I have been posting over in Cultivars about the morphs of our two new adopted/rescued corn snakes! We adopted a Creamsicle from Craigslist on 5/15 for my daughter's 9th birthday present (she will be 9 in a month, but he was such a good deal and such a lovely snake we had to snag him up while we could so she got her present early!). We were just in love with him....and soon discovered corns are like potato chips......can't just have one! So, I decided I wanted one, too. I found a beauty on Craigslist, too, on 6/4 (just this past Monday)! He is probably an Upper Keys, possibly a Boot Key. My daughter's Creamsicle is 2 years old (male) and is named Flame. Mine is 3-4 years old (male) named Ember. My husband works at our local zoo and we have access to a herpetologist for free snake care! :dancer: But while he has general, overall snake knowledge, I don't think he is a match for the specific corn knowledge on these boards, so I am so glad to be here! Husband does the icky stuff like dead mouse thawing and dangling :eats02: (plus I don't want me or my daughter smelling like mice!!!). We also have an older daughter who will be 13 next month. A Dalmatian, a Dachshund, and 2 cats. I'm a stay at home mom. We're also Disney freaks and our next trip is in October!! That's about it. I am sure I will learn a lot here! Here's our new additions:

Flame, on his temporary basket hide....next project is making him a homemade baked clay hide this weekend:

picture.php

Ember on his hide:

picture.php

PS - Ember was on display at the Santa Fe Children's Museum. He did fine being handled, but he was stressed out by the children tapping on the glass of his viv. The previous corn (Peaches, who was there for years and years) was not stressed by that. So they replaced him and he was fostered for a while until I adopted him. I can see him being stressed by the people as he remains mostly under his hide. He would not be a good display snake but seems fine being handled.

Welcome to this wonderful forum. There is a wealth of information and great people.

I think I have seen Ember a few years back. I will have to see if I have any pictures from that field trip to the museum.

You will find a lot of great people on this site. I have been here since Sept of last year. We currently have 12 corn snakes in a variety of morphs. I am a sucker for normals and snows. We also have 3 ball pythons, a spotted python and a hog island boa. We also have 2 leopard geckos, a gargoyle gecko and a bearded dragon. 2 dogs and 2 cats :D With two kids Kyle is 14 and Haley is 12.

That is so cool that your husband works with the Zoo. We just recently tried to see if they would be interested in the rescue of a red iguana but they called back and said they couldn't take her :( no room. So we are still trying to find her a good loving home.

My husband is in the Air Force reserve, going to school and works at Clarks. He loves it there. If you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. We can totally set up a time to come visit our collection. I am a stay at home mom as well. :)

:-offtopic Wow, BeautifullyWild, your husband must be crazy busy! :crazy02: My husband runs the front end - all the cashiers, the cashier supervisors, the money, and the IT for the entire Zoo, Aquarium and Tingley Beach. It's actually 2 jobs. He does not work directly with the animals on a regular basis, but once I called him and asked him what he was doing and the swans from the Aquarium pond had escaped out to the parking lot and he said he was herding swans. Another time I called him and I heard all these noises in the background. His main office is at the Zoo, and that is where he was. The office next to his is the bird guy's office. A bunch of abandoned ducklings had escaped their cage and had taken up residence in his office and he was trying to catch them. Another time there was a lizard on his wall. So I never know what answer I am going to get when I ask him how his day is going! :noevil: And it is fun for our family. When my 12 year old was 8 or 9 she got to hold a baby gorilla. I love giraffes, and I have been able to feed and pet them. We've been able to do a lot of cool, behind the scenes stuff! He's worked there for almost 8 years now.

My 12 (almost 13 year old) is named Hailey!!!!! :) My almost 9 year old is Brenley. My name is Andrea. Your collection sounds amazing. Really!!! I bet your hubby working at Clark's is handy! I am not surprised the Zoo turned you down. 1) the reptile house's air conditioning is busted and the reptiles are in rubbermaid bins all over the zoo in different buildings right now while it is being repaired, and 2) they get calls ALL THE TIME as you can imagine. :( They would love to do more but they just can't. And you would not believe how downright rude some ppl get. Like the Zoo owes them something! We would be honored to come see your collection!

If you saw Ember at the Children's Museum in Santa Fe, his name would have been Maize (and they thought HE was a SHE) and it would have been in the last 2 years. Before that the corn they had was a yellow variety named Peaches, who was there for like 15 years. I just did not like the name Maize - too generic (corn in Spanish) and I wanted something to go with the name Flame, and he really reminded me of glowing fire embers..........so Ember it was. I am really tickled that he turned out to be an Upper Keys, now that I know a bit more about the different kinds of corns. It would be totally trippy if you had pictures of him from your visit!!!!

What area are you in, if you don't mind me asking? We are in Uptown, right behind Winrock. Brenley goes to Inez Elementary and Hailey should go to Grant but she is a transfer to Madison Middle. She will go to Sandia (which won't be a transfer).

I am so glad to be here. Such a warm welcome over at the Cultivars and I am sure I am in the right place. And met someone right here in Albuquerque. This is great. Ember fed tonight, and even came out of his hide, hung out on his branch, drank some water and then went back in. It was a treat, considering he spent the last 4 days in his hide pretty much 24/7!

Big Red is at Clark's for now, they are still trying to find her home. She has had a rough life, so they are being really picky where she goes.

We are in the Nob Hill area. Lomas/San Mateo. My kids go to Jefferson Middle School. Well Kyle will be going to Highland next year. My son wants to go to Sandia because they have Air Force jr ROTC. LOL

Back