• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hi, newbie checking in. Already have an escapee.

Jessiefish

defying gravity
Hello! I just joined the forum yesterday. We have been wanting to get into snakes (we have tarantulas); my husband got his first corn snake last night, and he/she has already escaped. Sneaky little buggers! My husband didn't realize how determined they are to get out... We are checking everywhere, turned the heat off and made an enticing warm spot, etc. I hope he/she turns up. We feel so dumb.

It happens. Welcome to the site, if you search around you will find some other tips on finding the escapee. Haven't lost a snake in a while, but I have this mouse that has gotten out twice in the last week!

What type of hides do you have in his viv? If you have other animals cat or dog watch them they might point to escapee. Escapees like warm places like laundry, beds, under fridge...

A water dish/cave hide combo on the cool side and a tree with a hollow base (which we've checked and checked and checked again) on the other. He was in his viv for less than 12 hours, last seen around 10:30 p.m. at bedtime. Husband's afraid he/she went down the vent and has disappeared forever, but I don't know think he/she would go down where it was colder.

I hope it turns up soon but as pointed out this stuff happens. You will find very good info on this forum as tips to help you recover your lost snake. I suggest searching every nook and cranny in the room. Most escapes don't go far if he went down the vent that would be a problem i would close it just in case he hasn't. search carefully and good luck

Hello! I just joined the forum yesterday. We have been wanting to get into snakes (we have tarantulas); my husband got his first corn snake last night, and he/she has already escaped. Sneaky little buggers! My husband didn't realize how determined they are to get out... We are checking everywhere, turned the heat off and made an enticing warm spot, etc. I hope he/she turns up. We feel so dumb.

You're not alone. Had ours for 2 months eating well, and just shed a couple weeks ago. This morning went to check her in her normal hide and she was gone. Still not entirely sure how she got out, her cage was locked in the usual way, but have started looking everywhere.

This just sucks.

To top it off, we have two bengal cats, and one is just a crazy good hunter. I'm pretty sure she didn't get it, because she usually shows off her kills, mostly mice.

Again, this just sucks.

A water dish/cave hide combo on the cool side and a tree with a hollow base (which we've checked and checked and checked again) on the other. He was in his viv for less than 12 hours, last seen around 10:30 p.m. at bedtime. Husband's afraid he/she went down the vent and has disappeared forever, but I don't know think he/she would go down where it was colder.

I asked about hides because there have been a few people on here with the hollow tree and the snake gets way up inside, I think some have even had to cut the tree hide to get the snake out. I know you said you searched the tree hide but maybe double check others have found their snake in there after looking a second time.

Post a pic of the tree thing. There is very defective one sold at petsmart.

There is a good chance you snake is still in the viv.

It's this tree (All Living Things Brand):

pPETS-9424824dt.jpg

You're not alone. Had ours for 2 months eating well, and just shed a couple weeks ago. This morning went to check her in her normal hide and she was gone. Still not entirely sure how she got out, her cage was locked in the usual way, but have started looking everywhere.

This just sucks.

I hope you find your snake friend, too.

BTW, thank you guys for being so nice on this forum! Some hobbies are a bit, um, elitist and are very quick to harp on newbies.

FOUND HIM!! He WAS up inside that tree!!! My husband very carefully cut the end off and, oh, there was his tail.

Oh, I am so happy! My husband was SO bummed about his new little friend. And just to be safe, he has reinforced the around the top of the screen with weather stripping tape.

And thank you guys again.

I asked about hides because there have been a few people on here with the hollow tree and the snake gets way up inside, I think some have even had to cut the tree hide to get the snake out. I know you said you searched the tree hide but maybe double check others have found their snake in there after looking a second time.

THANK YOU! This is EXACTLY where we found the little guy. I opened it up so we can see him, and he is small enough that he can get out if he wants.

Very happy now. I was EXTREMELY bummed this morning when I couldnt find the little guy.

I think a good name for him should be Gollum, since he is so good at hiding.

That's the tree!!!!! There is a small, hidden hole that leads up into the very top tip. I'll bet anything she's in there. That's what mine did.

Oh, I guess I should have finished the thread, but I got excited. Glad you found her. I have left negative comments on that product. It's unsafe.

FOUND HIM!! He WAS up inside that tree!!! My husband very carefully cut the end off and, oh, there was his tail.

Oh, I am so happy! My husband was SO bummed about his new little friend. And just to be safe, he has reinforced the around the top of the screen with weather stripping tape.

And thank you guys again.

I don't know why that's what I thought when I read your first post, it has happened before. So glad you found him,

I would stuff that area with moss I stuff all small holes in hides to prevent that from happening.

I think the holes should be stuffed, but moss would dry out and the snake could still crawl through. I think people have used a safe clay type substance that hardens to close the holes.

I have holes in stuff filled with sphagum moss been in there close to 6 months and solid as a rock you have to pack it in there. Clay would do the trick also make sure its safe and non shrink.

Back