• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hi White..

red_dragon

hello, i have heard about the okeetee ''Hi White'' bred by Kathy Love...
Now im wondering if somebody else managed too to breed such a white snake.
Does anybody know of other ''Hi Whites''?

thank you

Tom

Hrm... I think most breeders call them candycanes. ;)

Seriously, though... Kathy's the only one I've seen that has any snakes with that particular look to them, and she doesn't sell them AFAIK, which means she doesn't have very many.

I'm not even sure what the status is on the few she has, or whether she even has more than one of them. Email and ask her?

-Kat

I've produced a few that seemed rather high white looking in the past. I held one of them back as a breeder (1996 hatchling) but never really got anything all that exciting from her. Matter of fact, if I can ever get this all put together, she is going on the surplus list this season.

96817.jpg

I can't remember what she looked like as a hatchling, but from what I can recall, she did have an unusually white background, especially for an Amelanistic Okeetee.

I only have one "good" hi-white right now. She has produced 2 all-infertile clutches so far when bred to her father. This year I will breed her to an unrelated male. If she does the same again, then I will pretty much lose hope for her.

I produced another hi white baby (same parents) this past year. But it hatched with NO TAIL! Eats well though. Don't know what I will do with it. It is too pretty to feed off or freeze. But I don't even know what sex it is and wouldn't breed it anyway.

Kim of Kim's Colubrids (no longer in business) had some of my line that she used to produce some of her own. She called them harlequinns. I'm sure there must still be some floating around. So look for them under that name too.

I will post on my website if I have any better luck this year. But "mom" is an '89 baby, so time is running out for this particular pair.

Wow... so things just kind of end at the vent? Weird.

Got any pics of this bizzare specimin?

-Kat

WOW! I just took a look at his photo gallery - those are really beautiful! I haven't talked Don lately - don't know if those are something he has been "breeding true" or just a couple of special ones that just came out that way. Will have to ask him about it, unless somebody else already has. I also don't know if they are in any way related to mine (or Kim's) or just something that popped up in his unrelated stock. But they sure are nice.

High white reverse Okeetee corns. . .

Well, it's about time I finally popped in on this forum, eh?

Regarding the high white reverse Okeetees, we started with our own lines. We just took the whitest ones and bred them to each other. Rich and some others of you know it can sometimes take many generations to get a target snake to market.

We're finally producing more and more and should be offering alot of those in the 2004 season. They won't move from the photo gallery to our regular list 'till we have at least 25 to offer. We have sold about 10 a year for the last two years.

We have images of some of ours in the photo gallery on our web site.
http://www.cornsnake.net/photogalleryhr.php

Thanks for reading,

Don
South Mountain Reptiles
www.cornsnake.NET

Hi Don,

Glad you could make it here.

You know, I look at the photos we all have of things like some of the Amelanistic Milk Snake Phase, Hi-White Amelanistic Okeetees, and Candy Canes, and start cringing waiting for the inevitable question about how we tell them apart. I run into the same problem with my Fluorescent Oranges and Amelanistic Okeetees (Low White?) animals in that they are getting to be so similar looking that throwing them all into a bucket would leave me with a real problem trying to pick out which ones are which.

Any ideas on how we are going to come up with some sort of guidelines in applying the names to these guys? Does a Candy Cane looking animal get called a Hi White Amelanistic Okeetee only if it comes from Okeetee stock? And since my Candy Canes came from Miami Phase stock as did my Amelanistic Milk Snake Phase line, trying to figure out what I should actually call any given individual of them gives me a head ache. Then the last couple of years I have bred some of my Miami Phase with thick heavy black borders and started getting a different line of Amelanistics altogether which I may breed into the Candy Canes to see what happens there.

Lord help us if we all get as bad as the Ball Python crowd, though....

Nightmares indeed . . . .

LOL. Good question. I don't know what we're going to do to qualify this Vs that. WE know how we started the snakes and those origins didn't include "candy canes" or "Miamis", but the end product turned out like this' or thats anyway. I guess the answer is "if it looks like a candy cane, call it one". Then, we have to quantify and qualify what makes them a reverse (amel.) Okeetee and not a candy cane or vice versa. In the absence of an acceptable written and/or pictoral standard in our industry, we're left to campaign acceptance of what we name our new snakes.

Suffice it to say, we'll just keep explaining the names or descriptions we assign our corns 'till popular consensus requires us to change. In this case, from six feet away, my high white reverse Okeetees look like candy canes. A close inspection reveals margins that aren't the same shade of white and therefore satisfy the accepted standard of the amelanistic (reverse) Okeetee. Shrug? I know what you mean. I see identification problems on the horizon.

Yeah. The scary thing is that I find myself saying "I don't know" more and more every year to people asking me questions....

Hi Don - nice to see you here!

Those are some real beauties! I sometimes take a look through your pricelist photos, but never looked through all the ones in the gallery until the previous post pointed them out.

Have you gotten to the point that you can breed two together that look like those photos and expect pretty near all of the babies to be anywhere near as spectacular as the parents? Or is it still only a percentage of "keepers" along with quite a few that are more ordinary? I'd like to talk to you about some from that line myself.

Rich is right about the naming of these various types. I have referred to mine as "hi-white" only because I have to call them something, but I don't want people to view them as a new morph, since I have no idea how long, if ever, it will take to reliably produce them regularly. People constantly ask me (and you, Rich, and other breeders too, I'm sure) if I have any of _???____ morph, which I may never have even heard of before. But until we ever get an "AKC" for herps, I guess it will just go on as it has, with public opion choosing what it wants, and being validated by appearing on lots of breeder's lists and publications. If it is not viewed as a valid or interesting morph by most hobbyists, and not picked up by many larger breeders, it will wither away. I am always open to discussions about names, as happened with the hypo "sunkiss(ed)t" okeetees. These forums seem like good places for that since they involve breeders and both new and experinced hobbyists.

High whites. . .

Kathy, I too have been calling them high whites with a more traditional spelling so that name seems to be appropriate.

This year I produced some from high white to high white. Most appeared to be the target snake, but given the metamorphic nature of cornse, I'm not sure how they'll turn out. The few I held back are showing promise of keeping that color scheme. Fingers crossed. Naturally, we're working with partially dominant features here so I expect this line will be very predictable.

Back