• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hide Preference?

Pickle

Right! Ever since Flo shed (about 4 days ago) she has hidden in her hide. At first i wondered if it might be something to do with the temps but she won't leave it, i don't think she's even been to her water. Last night i decided to do a bit of an experiment and when i had her out i moved this one in particular hide to the other side of the viv which has the heat mat. I just wanted to see if she would stay on the cooler side or go with the hide. Surprise surprise she went straight back to this one hide.

Is this normal, can they have a favourite place and not move from it no matter about the temps?

My snakes are all very predictable about where I am going to find them. Especially the babies. You could do an experiment! But an identical hide and put it on the opposite side and see where the snake ends up. Most of mine seem to prefer hides on the cool side.

It's likely she gets out and drinks water when the room is dark and quiet (IE when you're asleep), but if you're concerned, you can try soaking her in lukewarm 80-85 degree F that's not deep enough to cover her head for about 20 minutes every day.

Yes, my Humphrey prefers one type of hide so much s/he won't usually go to the other side.

All my hatchlings stay on the warm side, regardless of hide type. My yearling, however, prefers the paper towel tube so much, that it's ALL she'll stay in. I finally moved it to the middle, so part is on the warm side and part is in a cooler zone, because I was afraid she wasn't getting enough heat on her tummy.

Aly only prefers the warm side ever since I had her. I had to move her log to the cool side and put her water on the warm side because our heater made our humidity like 15% and I had to raise it. She just went right under the water bowl, that's where she always is now.

Charlie used to like his coconut shell hide until I upgraded his water bowl to raise his humidity too. Now he's always under his, which is also over his heat so it's good for his digestion.

Neither of them preferred paper towel tubes, not even as babies when I got them. They liked to burrow under their paper towels instead. Guess they felt more secure that way.

Thanks for all the feedback! I swapped her hides over and she still stuck with the same hide! I suppose i shall just have to keep a close eye on her!

Back