• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hiding under water dish

serpentina

What the deuce???
O.K. I did a search but, couldn't ease my concerns. My snake has been hiding under his water dish the past two nights and he has never done this before. I know my temps are ok because I have a digital with probe. He just ate two days ago and seems fine. Could my thermometer be malfunctioning causing him to get too hot. I have a UTH and use a small red lamp for basking because we have A/C and the room gets pretty cold. Should I be worried?? I did acquire a new fake plant for the warm end and that leaves the cooler one more exposed, even though he has 3 hides in a 20 gal aquarium (plenty of hides) Maybe I should get anothe plant for the cool end? Opinions please. I should point out that his dish is not one of those cat bowls with a cut-out, and I try to put it right on the bottom glass. He still manages to get in there. Would one of these be better for him? Cat dishes? Thanks and sorry so long

hi serpentina, I wouldn't be worried about this as one of my snakes is always underneath his water bowl. My theory is that he feels safe there because its such a small crampt space.

Like Will said don't be alarmed. I keep thinking Ivory is way to big to get under his water dish but he still manages! Just be sure you are checking regularly for water spillage that may build up in your substrate and allow bacteria growth :sidestep: It's a stretch but stranger things happen!

Thanks for the replies (I feel better now). I did end up buying a kitty dish that has the openings at base for peace of mind though. I think the other water dish was too big anyway. I think Pepino will love his new hide and I won't be worried that I may accidentally squish him, while changing his water.

Rorryy said:
Like Will said don't be alarmed. I keep thinking Ivory is way to big to get under his water dish but he still manages! Just be sure you are checking regularly for water spillage that may build up in your substrate and allow bacteria growth :sidestep: It's a stretch but stranger things happen!
LOL... My black ratsnakes water bowl sits on his back. He slides under there and coils up to lift it up onto his back. He seems to like it so I don't worry about it too much.

yeah agreed with all the others. Nothing to worry about. They like to hide wherever they want. Mine both hide in their hides and under their substrate all of the time...

Back