• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

His First Fuzzy Today =)

bataco

Daniel
I fed my boy a fuzzy today and he ate it without any problems, I always feed in the viv but I put a plate and never had a problem but today he moved the mouse to the aspen and swallowed a little piece of aspen, I'm not worried but still I wanted to know if a little piece was a problem, I think I'm not feeding anymore in the viv...
p.d. Should I feed a fuzzy every 7 days? (he's a yearling cali)
thx =)

I think a fuzzy every 7 days should be fine, that's what I feed my corn... As far as feeding him in his viv, you could always use a shallow bowl (like one of those disposable ziploc ones) just so he can't move the fuzzy onto the aspen, then when he's done he leave when he feels like it... ;)

I'd like to see a pic of him with the fuzzy, to see how the sizes compare. It's really easy to feed them in a feeding container. Then you just don't have to worry.

I agree with Nanci...it's so simple to feed in a container, and it's worry free. My cali just took her first fuzzy the other day as well. She rolled it around a bit to make sure this extra large thing was really and truly dead first. Very cute. Did you get pics?

The only snake I feed in his viv is my corn. He's so dignified that if he had hands, I'm sure he'd use a knife, fork and linen napkin. :rolleyes:

I do agree with them also... I have over 10 snakes and on monday everyone comes out and goes in their feeding container and eats... It's not hard, maybe a little time consuming, but I enjoy the work... I was just suggesting a better way for you to feed in the tank if that is what you choose to do... :)

Having them gone to their feeding container gives you a chance to wash the water bowl and clean the viv without having to deal with the snake.

That is true, I change there water and spot check their cages without worry of them being in the way or getting out while I feed... ;)

IDK I don't use a separate feeding container and I wouldn't worry about just a little piece of aspen. They can digest bones a little piece of tree is not going to hurt them in the least unless it were to get stuck in their mouth. I feed all my corns except for the very littlest that still haven't learned to do this from hemostats or by hand in their enclosures. Sometimes after they take the pinkie or mouse they drop their heads when they get ready to indulge and it gets a little bit of aspen stuck on it. There really isn't any real risk of impaction with that type of substrate. BHB did a good piece on that on Snakebytes a while back. They always feed in the enclosure with substrate in it and sometimes the food gets covered in substrate and they've never had any impactions. If you were using something (stupid) like walnut shells or sand then you would have to worry but not with aspen.
Just my .02

When you move them to another feeding container, how do you get them back in their viv? Just let them crawl back? Or gently lift? Also, what do you use to feed them in?

I just gently lift them out of the container and back into their viv... I feed F/T for most of my snakes, but the ones that eat live I feed in separate containers as well...;)

Back