• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hissy Hatchling!

Homicidal Nymph

My new hatchling, Lilith, is very hissy. I got her a week before last friday, and I'm assuming she's about 2 or 3 weeks old. Well, she's got quite an attitude! At first she would snap, and then calm down as you held her, but as time went on she got WORSE! When I took her out to feed her she wouldn't stop trying to bite me, it was quite an ordeal.

It's two days after she ate, and it seems that she's stopped, as she was perfectly calm today (even though she did poop on me, and my bed!) would it just be because she was hungry and there was the smell of pinkie in the air?

I'm very new to corn snakes but from everything I've read in this forum I would guess maybe you have handled too much and not given time to let her settle in. I would follow all the suggestions and let her be for a while ( I know its hard). Good Luck

Most hatchlings are at least a bit twitchy.

Some can be downright snappy .... which it sounds like yours is.

If you got a crabby one, the moving about will quite possibly have made it more crabby!

Most hatchlings settle over time. Just got to persevere with them. :)

I always have one or two hatchlings that are the spawn of satan. Just downright mean!! I've found with them that I barely handle them for the first few months. I only handle them to take them out of their cage for feeding and cleaning. After a few months I start to handle them more frequently. I think that as they're bigger and a little more secure they tend to just naturally calm down.

But my 1st corn, who's 12 yrs old now, was, is, and will always be feisty. He, at best, tolerates being handled. I think there are some who just hate being handled.

of course im a newbie, but it seems like the more i handle mine the calmer he gets.. he would coil up and snap at us the first few times, but without fear id pick him up anyway, and now he actually lifts his head as i open the lid and reach for him! Except for 48 hours after feeding him, hes usually handled several times a day , at least once by me and once by my husband for about 10 minutes at a time.

Just a side note, if you do handle your snake and he bites you don't put him back in his cage right away. Keep him out for another minute or two because otherwise he'll learn that biting = being put back in cage (safe place) and it will only increase the behvior.

~Katie

Back