• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hmm..what do i want?

PaulThe

I was at pet smart last night and seen a pac-man frog. it made me want a frog

question is, do i want a ball python or a pixie frog?

i know alot about ball pythons and have everything already

i will have to do research on pixie frogs to make sure i know everything

Amphibians are cool, but, at least ime, more high maintenance than most Ball Pythons. For myself, I'd go with the snake, unless someone else was going to do all the "taking care of" with the frog :).

If you don't mind the higher maintenance on frogs than... well i would get both but that's up to you ;)

All 3 are incredibly animals. We've owned Horned frogs, and currently have both Pixies, and Ball Pythons. The Ball's are a snap to take care of, and make an impressive captive.

The Pixies do as well. Especially if you can acquire a male. With the Pixies, stay away from rodents, and other vertebrates as a staple, and only use it as a supplemental treat. They can become obese very quickly. Just get ready for a walking belly! Their personalities are to die for.

I say if you have the stuff for the ball python get it. Then save up for the frog and in that time research the frog.

You do know that horned frogs and pyxie frogs are separate species, right?

Horned frogs are South American natives. I've kept several over the years. Ironically, the only one I've had success with in the long term (I've kept him since 2005) came from Petsmart. Others I've purchased as shows have failed to thrive. Longest success I've had with them was a year or so.

Pyxie frogs, or African bullfrogs, are also really cool, and I've had excellent success with them. I've had my current pyxie since 2006. She was purchased as a show and is pretty big now. I think pyxies are easier to raise from young uns.

I don't think there's anything wrong with buying from Petsmart-- in fact if I ever try another horned frog (I'd like a green someday) I will probably try and find a subadult at Petsmart.

As babies, it is worth noting that they do require every other day feeding with small crickets and cleaning of their enclosure.

i understand a pixie frog and a pac-man frog are different, i think a pixie frog would be better tho, does anyone who owns a pixie frog have a guide saved?

i have only heard that pyxie frogs eat live, do they eat F/T ?

i would never buy a animal other then a fish from a petsmart/wal-mart i want rather support a reptile owner

on top of that, im thinking of getting BOTH when i go to a show on jan 8. in charlotte nc or holding out on the BP and getting it next spring ..

I have a Colorado River toad- I would say amphibians are VERY low maintenance!! Especially toads and salamanders. I've kept lots and lots.

Back