• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hmmm...

richm2778

Hi Guys,

I have been too busy to stop by for a while. My schoolwork has been horrendous. Anyway, I hatched my first clutch earlier this season and only 1 of the original 11 eggs hatched. 6 made it through incubation, but only 1 pipped. I opened the others and found fully formed snakes that for some reason or other just didn't make it.

Anyway, clutch #2 from the same parents is in the incubator right now. They are due in 12 days (60 days incubation for Leucistic Texas Ratsnakes). I have been meticulous with this clutch and I have seen something that makes me nervous. For some reason, the humidity in the tupperware has risen considerably over the past few days. I used to see nothing on the lid at all, but now the lid is almost totally covered in condensation. The eggs are huge too. They seem ready to burst. I have opened the tupperware to let some of the humidity out, but one of the eggs ruptured and started to ooze out pink tissue. I am sure this egg is a lost cause now. I am asking you guys if this is just the way it goes, or if there is something that I can do. My temps have been consistent between 80 and 85 degrees fahrenheit depending on time of day. My snake room is a hot room. Any ideas?

Rich

The general humidity in the room must be higher than usual. Maybe because of the warmer weather? All I can think, to do, is try adding a few holes to the incubation tub and wipe the condensation off the lid whenever you check on the eggs... :shrugs: Hope it helps.

I'm having trouble like that this year - I've lost an entire clutch about a fortnight before the due hatching date, and part of another one. I'm thinking humidity problems as well and I'll be adding some air holes next season.

Odd, because I've incubated without air holes in the same tubs for a few years without problems. I've been checking them at the same intervals as usual to allow for some air exchange. Seems like maybe topping up the moisture levels next year might be less risky.

Positive. No pipping, but lots of pink tissue outside the egg. I am almost positive this one won't make it.

It may reseal the humidity can cause a rupture, but usually when left alone the egg will seal itself back up. Drill more holes in the container they are being kept in or leave the lid askew for a few hours to correct the humidity.

It sounds like you know what your doing. I think it is a run of bad luck(aka Murphy). Wipe the moisture off the lid of the container daily if need be, open that lid up ect... Thats about the most anyone can do. Hope they make it....

Back