• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hog Island Boas?

skittledoo

I'm debating on getting a non corn for my birthday in August. I want something bigger than corns, but not so big that I have a hard time handling the snake. I'd prefer something that tops out around 5-6 feet long and someone mentioned to me that I look into Hog (hogg?) Island Boas.

Does anyone have experience with them? How docile do they tend to be? Are they pretty easy keepers or do they tend to be tempermental? Anything you think I should know about them before I make a decision to get one? Also is their a difference between males and females as far as size and temperament?

We love our Parker. He is a male and very docile. But can hiss when distrurbed. Never has struck. He is about 9 months old. He got him from Chad Dugan at www.cdreptiles.com. Hubby couldnt be happier to be honest. He loves him.

Here is the most recently picture of him
IMG_2757.jpg

They are just like any other Boa Constrictor Imperator... the majority are very docile.
I would also look into Nicaragua Boas as they are even smaller.

My pair are still under a year so I cant tell you what they're like long term. Just like any other animal they have individual personalities, you can have nice examples of an aggressive animal and the reverse. My male is a perfect example of a friendly, docile, great eating BCI. My female will seem like she's just fine only to turn and strike, then acts like nothing happened. She will also only eat everyother time she's offered food no matter the interval. I'm sure with more time she'll mellow and I'll get to know her ques better, but were not there yet. went off topic a little but you get the point.

As for care, we were told sometimes hog islands require a larger enclosure than colombians of the same size, and that if you power/over feed them they won't end up small like they're suppose to. Thats what the breeder told us anyways, ours came from Gus Rentfro.

I personally love my hogs, and the fact that they won't get too big for me to handle on my own was a big plus in my book.

We love our Parker. He is a male and very docile. But can hiss when distrurbed. Never has struck. He is about 9 months old. He got him from Chad Dugan at www.cdreptiles.com. Hubby couldnt be happier to be honest. He loves him.

Here is the most recently picture of him
IMG_2757.jpg

Wow he is seriously gorgeous! I just checked out Chad Dugan's page and he doesn't appear to have any available right now. I'm not looking to get one until probably August so I will have to check his site again closer to then.

They are just like any other Boa Constrictor Imperator... the majority are very docile.
I would also look into Nicaragua Boas as they are even smaller.

Nicaragua Boas? I'll definitely check them out as well.

My pair are still under a year so I cant tell you what they're like long term. Just like any other animal they have individual personalities, you can have nice examples of an aggressive animal and the reverse. My male is a perfect example of a friendly, docile, great eating BCI. My female will seem like she's just fine only to turn and strike, then acts like nothing happened. She will also only eat everyother time she's offered food no matter the interval. I'm sure with more time she'll mellow and I'll get to know her ques better, but were not there yet. went off topic a little but you get the point.

As for care, we were told sometimes hog islands require a larger enclosure than colombians of the same size, and that if you power/over feed them they won't end up small like they're suppose to. Thats what the breeder told us anyways, ours came from Gus Rentfro.

I personally love my hogs, and the fact that they won't get too big for me to handle on my own was a big plus in my book.

Thank you so much for the info. I have an extra 30 gallon long lying around. Would that be an ok size for a baby/young one? If not I can just buy a bigger tank for a while but if one would be fine in a 30 gallon while they are young it would give me time to have my husband build me a really nice custom one that would house a full grown one.

Do you have photos of yours?

Thank you so much for the info. I have an extra 30 gallon long lying around. Would that be an ok size for a baby/young one? If not I can just buy a bigger tank for a while but if one would be fine in a 30 gallon while they are young it would give me time to have my husband build me a really nice custom one that would house a full grown one.

Do you have photos of yours?

A 30 gal should be just fine till they're ready to move to their adult home.

I didn't have real current photos so I just went out and did a mini photo session.

Here's Namira my female, she's not much for posing.

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

And Donut my male, he's a complete ham infront of the camera.

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

in this one you can see his pink sides a little, it doesn't show up well in photos
photo3.jpg

The two together,

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

Sorry about spamming with photos, I get a little over excited about them.

No don't be sorry at all. I love seeing photos of them. I think they are really neat looking snakes. I mentioned to my husband that I want a small boa for my birthday.... He sighed and said ok. I think he knows it's a losing battle for him lol. So hopefully by August I will have a new addition. I can't wait!

How big do those guys get? I have been thinking about these and Dumerils. Trying to figure out which ones are smaller.

The mother of my Central American motleys never got any longer than 5 feet and the father was much smaller. They've got nice temperaments as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8896.JPG
    IMG_8896.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 43
I just got one and they are a great looking snake! I cant say for the temperament for sure but mine seems to be great. The one I have is a Hypo Hog so he does have some redtail blood in him, but was told he should get no bigger than 6 feet. Both his parents maxed out around 5 feet. Here are a couple of pictures of him.
DSC00465.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

Back