• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hognose tips

Doggey75

So I'm gonna be getting a western hognose as soon as I get my room changed up. I read many care sheets and guides. But I wanna hear from people I can ask questions if I need. :D

I sold mine recently and regret it so much!
Best advice I have is "keep em hot and feed em a lot!"

^^^ That. Hot and dry, and twice the number of meals you'd feed a corn, but about 1/2 to 1/3rd the size food items. Ventilation is crucial. Do not ever force feed one. If they go off feed, let them fast. In my experience, they will always come back around, even if they get a bit thin. If you force feed them, they may never voluntarily eat again. If you get a baby, make sure it is feeding reliably on unscented mice. Once they eat mice, never offer them anything else. If you use a deep water dish, put a rock in it or something so they can get out. Never cohab these snakes. When they decide to eat something (even their water bowl or cage mate), it takes a long time to change their minds.

You can, but I wouldn't. They have very high metabolisms, and mostly eat amphibians in the wild. I feed mine small meals 2X weekly once they can digest a pinky fast enough (they hatch really small).

OK I'll see what schedule I'll put him/her on. I'm planning on getting an older female because I have all male reptiles lol

The genders are very different in this species. Females are much more likely to feed response bite, and get about 3 times the size. Males are more prone to go off feed and are usually more gentle at feeding time.

Chip is right...my male has been off feed for a while now, little brat...I keep offering and he keeps refusing. Hopefully he'll start back up soon.

Back