• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Home alone !!

kingnoddy

We are going on Holiday for 3 weeks & cant get a sitter for our corn.
I can get someone to visit weekly to check water but no one willing to feed mice. Will the corn be ok ?

Yes he should be fine. Just make sure he has plenty of water, and that the person filing the water doesn't let him escape or leave the viv unlocked.

Flagg said:
Yes he should be fine. Just make sure he has plenty of water, and that the person filing the water doesn't let him escape or leave the viv unlocked.

Yes water will be the most important thing, I would have someone check it once every other day or so. You shouldn't worry about the food, they can last two months about with no food. Yes make sure the person refilling water puts the weights or w/e you have on your cage to keep your snake from escaping. I'm basically repeating everything Flagg just said.

Agree with Flagg and Jimmy that a healthy adult Corn can happily be left for three weeks without eating, as long as someone changes the water regularly (and closes the door carefully!).

However, younger snakes that need to eat more often - I'm thinking anything on pinkies or fuzzies - or where you have some kind of health concern, probably should be found "boarding accommodation" or have a person with reptile knowledge check in on them and feed them, as well as changing the water.

Thanks for the replies :)

Our corn is 2 years old so water only will be fine then. Last year my friend looked after him & left the door open which resulted in 4 weeks awol. He eventually turned up on his neighbours sofa which was quite amusing.

What do I do about the heat ? Shall I leave both light & mat on or just the mat ?

If they can only check once per week, I would leave 2 fairly large water bowls in the cage (large enough so that you are SURE they won't evaporate in a week). That way, if he poops in one of the bowls, he will still have clean water in the other one.

Might not be a bad idea to put a few drops of grapefruit seed extract in the water to keep bacteria from growing in it. Be sure you don't use too much, or it will taste bitter and the snake won't drink it. Mix it in a glass first and taste it so you will know how much to use without ruining it. And try it on the snake before you leave to make sure he will drink it.

Back