• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

home made viv

owen

i am thinking about making a home made viv and would REALLY appreciate it if people could post pictures of there own vivs to give me and im sure other people ideas.

Thank You.

oh and is it safe to use woodas the walls and floor or should i cover the wood with something like astroturf idoor/outdoor carpeting.

Here are step by step plans

:wavey: Here are step by step instructions for a rather nice home made viv. It is made of wood and it covers everything you would need to know, down to what tools, and where you can order certain things if you can't find them in your local hardware store or Wal-mart.

I think this man did a wonderful job explaining and providing info on how to and pictures to complement what he is trying to explain.

I love this site because of how detailed it is and it also shows stacked cages and how he does them in the link contained in the second paragraph of the main page.

Hope it helps, the link is: http://www.finegtps.com/cageplans.htm#Materials and Cut List

wow thats a really nice cage but i was looking for something a little easier something where i can just cut a few peices of wood glue em together and have some glass doors on the front or top. thanks anyway though

aww take some pride in your snake mister... go on make the effort and dont try n cut corners...

hope all goes well

Owen, well if you don't want to go that route, what about semi homemade with a professional looking result?

They sell these things called storage cubes, they go under a few different names but they are the stacking cubes or organizers they use to make those fancy closet with all that shelving stuff.

Here is an example of one with 2 shelves, the shelves are removable so no need to use them or you could use them as door fronts. Just cut out the center of the door front and install recessed glass.

310000.gif

Here is another example of one with a door already installed that you can also omit the shelves from and simply cut out the center and route the edges for a recess to install glass in.

310200.gif

These are melamine products so you would have to seal all the corners and crevices with aquarium sealer. If you don't any moisture that wicks into the outer edge or gets under the melamine will warp the wood underneath since it is pressboard.

These things come in all sorts of sizes so you can find one the size to fit your needs. Wal-mart, Target, Home Depot, Lowe's and other stores carry them in the home organization department and they retail about $19.00 and up.

Just an idea, hope it helps.

Anyone subscribe to 'reptiles' magazine?
I just got this month's issue, it had step by step instructions on how to turn an old dresser into a viv, it looked like a really cool set up and inexpensive. Basically they took out all the drawers except the bottom one, put a new floor above this, cut out around the top and added a screen, and then made a clear door for the front. The article said it was for chameleons or arboreal snakes but it looked like it could be easily adapted for corns too.

Back