• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Home

erosdq

I have another question for all of you. I looked online at many sites and and all of them said to house a adult corn in a 35-40 gallon tank. My question was never answered on any of the sites and since everyone here is always willing to help or answer a questions Here is my question for all u guys and gals. Can you put a adult corn in a 20 long tank or is that to small? I'm always trying to learn more and sometimes my questions are not answered by books or sites online.

Thanks

Well sure you could put a full grown snake in a 10 gallon too. But I doubt they'd be very happy.
My personal view is that the snake needs enough room to stretch out unless they are completely reclusive, stay around 3 feet and hate exploring :shrugs: So I go for bigger than a 20 gallon long.

We tend to think in gallons because we are using fish tanks. But we’re not keeping fish. I personally don’t know how big a 30 gal tank is. Snake, or at least corn snakes, are primarily concerned with floor space and not capacity. The rule I have always used is that the length plus the width of the tank should add up to at least the length on the snake.

Well that's why I always say "long" or big sizes that have big floor space.
Of course 30-40 gallon tanks come in different shapes :shrugs:

I think the 'expert' guidance is that a 20L is the smallest acceptable. I know breeders keep adults in sterilite bins that are approximately that much (in terms of floorspace) with only 6 inches of 'headroom.' I'm currently keeping an adult in one (except it's got 12 inches of floorspace - 90qt) and plan to put 4 hatchlings in the same when they're bigger.

You can put an adult corn in a 20L but it's probably going to look cramped to you. It depends on the snake, though. I have Lila in a 20L and all she does is sit in her warm hide with her head sticking out resting on a log, or curl up at the very top of her climbing tree. I have never seen her move or seen her out roaming around. OTOH I have a two year old 250g kingsnake in a 20L and she is constantly out and moving about using all areas of her viv. I think she'd look a lot better in a 40. The thing with a 20L is you run out of space for hides and water bowls the snake can actually fit into. A 24x18 bin is not as aesthetically pleasing, but it has big corners that let you put more bigger stuff in. I'd put them all in 40s if I had the space, though.

Back